Logo

'1991 50hp Force carb adjustments

mixd

Contributing Member
I recently had some success rehabing an '88 50hp Force outboard.As i turned my attention to my parts motor,a '91 50 hp Force outboard,i noticed that the carb had a different carb layout(adjustment screws in different location).Did they change the carb from '88 to '91?,and can someone tell me where the adjustments are made on the '91?

Re: '91 Force carb adjustments

Some have an air screw in the front some on the side.They both adjust the same.Turn in till it bottoms.Then out 1 and 1/8 turn.Start it in the water let it warm up.Then turn it in slowly till it coughs/bucks/stalls then out 1/2 turn.J

The motor is on a stand.There is no spark in either cylinder.The neutral switch is working.What else could it be?This is the first time that i am trying to get this motor going.Perhaps i should check the wiring again.

How would i go about checking the resistance on my stator?

Last edited:

Ok,going through the wiring.I always thought that there are two kill circuit wires.I can only find the one.It is black with a yellow stripe and comes from the blue box under the coils.Shouldnt the other one come from there as well?

The safety switch is YELLOW/RED It goes no where near the stator.The safety switch is by the linkage.It will be a small square switch with the Y/R leads into it.
If it's on a stand,do you have the wiring harness and keyswitch? That will make a difference in no spark.J

The safety switch is the neutral safety switch?I was talking about the kill circuit.I found out that there is only one wire.My mistake was that on the other motor there were two wires.One was from the motor,and the other was grounded onto the motor block.During my test i isolated the kill wire,and took the wires off the rectifier,just to rule it out.I cranked the motor with my booster cables.I dont have a harness or a keyswitch connected to it.

Back