Smoking white smoke (not steam)
Compression 116-118 all cylinders
Getting worse
All plugs and piston tops look the same
Last night would barely get on plane. Almost like running on 4 cylinders
Idles rough, with a “PUH” every few seconds
Lots of smoke when starting
Has 2 VRO’s
Added oil to gas last night incase it’s not getting oil. Don’t want to burn it up. Made no difference.
I’m thinking head gasket or bad VRO. Need help!
Thanks!

I can replace both VRO’s for about $350. It’s a 1990, so I’m probably going to be doing it at some point anyhow. What’s your thought on just go ahead and replace them? I can also get the complete gasket kit for about $100. So for less than $500, I have all good gaskets, new VRO’s, good compression in all cylinders and I might be able to just enjoy it for a while. What do you think? Thank you!!

BTW, I just finished the restoration this spring. Gelcoat, all new upholstery, lighting, gages…electronics. I’m 65 and not planning to ever buy another boat so I don’t mind putting some money in this one. Still better than going out and spending $50-$75k for a new one!!!

You not going to get a OEM VRO/OMS pump less than $500 each. The knock offs on Amazon have a life of about 2 weeks before gaskets swell up

thanks for the info! But if the VRO is bad, as suspected, I need to replace no matter price. if I do both I’m up to 1000. Still a LOT less than buying another boat. And I can’t sell this one not running right.
Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your advice and info. Thank you!!!

Back