Logo

1990 GT 175 outboard motor powerhead interchange possable

willy1445

Hello Friends, I bought a boat with a very clean 1990 Johnson GT 175 motor with a bad #3 cylinder with broken ring scored cylinder. Hoping somebody would know and could tell me if any and or what year POWERHEADS are interchangeable, it is a carbureted motor
Much appreciated as always !! Wil

It is the big bore 3.625 and the same as the earlier 1981 to 84 235 HP ( powerhead rated ) model.-----Broken rings is a common failure on these crossflow engines.----Best to rebore and fit 6 new WISECO pistons.---Your location?

A used engine block might be ready to fail as well.----Unless already bored out.----Try ----E-bay , facebook etc for a donor motor.----The GT 175 and the Evinrude EP version are also the same from

Gt 175 from 86 to 1990 including the Evinrude version.----Crowley used to have rebuilt units.---BUT NOT LISTED ANYMORE.----low demand I guess

I doubt these motors were owned by folks who were trolling / fishing.----Most lived 90% of their lives at full throttle.----I know how I ran my Scarab Sport with twin 1982 model 235 HP motors.

These motors have a very thin cylinder sleeve from factory and cooling was very important issue with them. Impeller needed changed every 2 years regardless of usage. The piston ring would overheat and carbon up as they help transfer heat from piston. If it has to be bored larger than.020 find a different block.

These motors have a very thin cylinder sleeve from factory and cooling was very important issue with them. Impeller needed changed every 2 years regardless of usage. The piston ring would overheat and carbon up as they help transfer heat from piston. If it has to be bored larger than.020 find a different block.
Thank you

Back