Logo

1990 Evinrude 40 HP Continuous Horn - Even After Temp Switch Replacement

Dave Hudy

Hello, I apologize if this topic already has a thread... I didn't find it.

I have a 1990 40 hp Evinrude with the VRO, and once in a while when I turn the key to the 'on' position (boat is in garage), the horn sounds continuously. Otherwise the motor has been running great when I've had it on the water.

A local boat motor repair guy said it might be a bad temperature switch (or something bad along the wire from the oil tank) so I replaced the temp switch. I thought it was fixed because for about 10 days in a row EVERY DAY I would turn the key on and would only get the normal quick chirp. Then after about 10 days of testing it (always in the garage) the last time the horn did indeed sound continuously! I immediately went to the engine and unplugged the temperature switch bullet connector, and the kept sounding. Then I unplugged the other bullet connector (the one with the tan wire that I think may comes from the oil tank, but I don't know for sure) and the horn stopped. So I think I've ruled out a bad temp switch.

Another thing that's odd is, occasionally when turning the key on the horn sounds for about 2 seconds, maybe more or maybe less, and then stops. This happens more frequently than the continuous horn. And a couple of times when turning the key the horn seemed to stutter with my fingers on the key, almost as if jiggling the key influenced the horn, though I can't say for certain.

I'm thinking the horn or horn sensor thingy might be faulty, but can't find any videos on how to test it or replace it.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Remove the 4 screws that hold the float in the oil tank. Turn the key to the "on" position. The alarm should sound when you put the float at the bottom of the rod and should go off once you raise the float. If it doesn't operate correctly, replace the float.

Thanks Oldsaltydog,

Embarrassed to ask, but is this the float (circled in image)?
Is it supposed to move up and down along the two rods? If so, it doesn't move. Granted I didn't try forcing it too hard in fear of breaking something.

Attachments

• PXL_20231014_151745652~2.jpg
    PXL_20231014_151745652~2.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20231014_152308651.jpg
    PXL_20231014_152308651.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 7
Remove the 4 screws that hold the float in the oil tank. Turn the key to the "on" position. The alarm should sound when you put the float at the bottom of the rod and should go off once you raise the float. If it doesn't operate correctly, replace the float.
Thanks Oldsaltydog,

Embarrassed to ask, but is this the float (circled in image)?
Is it supposed to move up and down along the two rods? If so, it doesn't move. Granted I didn't try forcing it too hard in fear of breaking something.

Attachments

• PXL_20231014_151745652~2.jpg
    PXL_20231014_151745652~2.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20231014_152308651~2.jpg
    PXL_20231014_152308651~2.jpg
    878 KB · Views: 2
Back