Logo

1990 Evinrude 15HP 2 Stroke Issues

Grandmalips

I am following up from a previous post:

I restored this motor and it will for the most part it will run well. However it will not cold start without starter fluid but once warm will fire right up on the first pull, also it will run great when I take it out and run it but after a long time at full throttle when I go to idle it will not idle and die. after that it will start back up again. Also the telltale does not seem to pee. Is the motor overheating? also I am at a loss to my cold start issues. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. Thank you

Things I have done:
Rebuilt Carb
New fuel
New spark plugs
checked impeller and re installed with fresh grease
Checked compression (90)
also the primer bulb squirts fuel into the carb so it is getting fuel

Any ideas?

When you pull the choke knob does the choke flapper close and stay closed while operating the recoil ?-----90 PSI is low.----Tell tale hose could be plugged .----You had it apart and did not install a new impeller ?----Restored means what here ?----Paint and decals only ?

When you pull the choke knob does the choke flapper close and stay closed while operating the recoil ?-----90 PSI is low.----Tell tale hose could be plugged .----You had it apart and did not install a new impeller ?----Restored means what here ?----Paint and decals only ?

i believe it stays closed but i will check. What PSI should i look for, i took it apart but the inpeller looked brand new so i did not see a reason to replace it so i re installed it. restored means it had been sitting not being used for 5 plus years and i am getting it running agin.

Could be weak spark. Does the spark jump a full 7/16"? If you don't have a spark tester just remove the spark plugs so you can get a good fast pull and put a number 2 Phillips screwdriver into a plug wire boot. Position the screwdriver in such a way that the steel shank is about 1/2" from a good ground like a head bolt or coil mounting bolt. I prefer the coil mounting bolt because it has no paint. If you have a helper to pull the starter cord it's even better.
I sometimes reuse impellers as well if they look and feel really nice. Why? Some new impellers are very poor quality and the synthetic rubber may start to break down in a matter of a year or two. Also I try to avoid impellers with plastic hubs. When I hear compression readings I take them with a "grain of salt". Why? Often the stuff people buy today is cheap and unreliable, unpredictable, and not good enough to trust. Also compression tests should be done on a cylinder that is not completely dry and has adequate lubrication. On four strokes, the throttle has to be partially opened, it WILL make a difference.

Back