Logo

1990 40 hp Johnson Outboard hasn't been run since 1991.

sokinasr

I just bought a V16 Tracker with a 40 hp johnson ELESR motor. The original owner died in 1991 and the boat hasn't been used since. What should I do about the motor before I try to start it? The motor is supposed to only have 50 - 60 hrs on it. I don't want to mess it up because it failed to do some kind of pre-lube or turning over by hand or anything else.
I'm also removing the console and putting in stick steering.

After 21 years!!! Does it turn over?
Start by spraying WD-40 in the cylinders.
Try to turn it over.
Clean the plugs.
Make sure there is spark.
Check/change the lower unit oil.
Clean the carbs.
Rebuild the fuel pump.
Change ALL the rubber hoses.
Ethanol is no friend to old rubber.
Change the impeller.
Clean the starter.
Good luck on the motor.
I'm sure others will add more.

Profile,Location??
You might be close to someone who can help.J

I haven't tried to do anything yet I was afraid I might mess up the engine just trying to start it or even turn it over. I was going to order carb rebuild kits on advice from work and have ordered Johnson shop manuals for the engine. I'll keep everyone posted as I go but I don't have lots of free time and this will be a slow project. I still work and help care for the Grandkids while their mon is going back to nursing school.

I can't rebuils fuel pump as it's a VRO2 pump. It looks brand new with 69 hrs on it. Should I replace it (aprox $400) or is there a way to test it.

Run at least the first tank of fuel with 50:1 mix.-------------Mark the fuel tank and see how much oil needs to be added after the first tank to get back to the reference mark.-----------Your motor may run with extra oil for that first tank , but no damage will be done.-----A factory manual would also give you information on how to test the VRO pump using a clear hose to see how much oil is being mixed.----------There are rebuild kits available for VRO pumps and they can be taken apart for inspection to make sure everything is OK.----------------To say that it can not be rebuilt is a false statement !!

Or disable the pump.(that's what I'd do)
That way your sure your getting the right oil.
My dad bought a new Johnson 70/86 (I think)with the VRO.
He unhooked it and bypassed the sensor/alarm.
That was when they were burning up the motors cause the VRO's were bad from the factory.

Sorry I should have been more clear. From research online the opion is that the "OIL" side is not rebuildable. The VRO kits "I" found say fuel side only. My worry is after sitting for 20 yrs are the gaskets and rubber inside the VRO2 pump still pliable.
I will keep the thread posted on this complete project.

Take the thing apart and have a look in there.-----------The oil side is a metal piston with o-rings on it .--------The VRO is a simple unit and it should be checked and maintained.

I'm starting my boat rebuild this weekend.
The carpet is hard and stiff.
I'm in the process of removing the console.
I'm going to convert to stick steering.
I'll post more Pictures as I progress. These are the BEFORE pictures.

Boat_5.JPGBoat_1.JPGBoat_2.JPGBoat_3.JPGBoat_4.JPG

Nice boat! I actually just bought the same thing. Looks just like mine, but it has been used since 1991...lol. Only problem I have had was a loss of power from 1/2 throttle on up. Can only get 2700 rpm out of it. Changed the fuel filter (was so bad that when turned it upside down and tapped it on the counter I had a pile of sediment come out) but haven't ran it in the water yet to see if that fixed it. Ran awesome first time I had it out 30 mph@6000 rpm. Then ran like crap last two times. So, do everything these nice folks suggested AND change that fuel filter!

I pulled the motor off. I'm going to get the Hull redone before I mess with the motor. I started gutting the boat. It was a mess. Mice had gotten to the wiring and I got ring worm from the carpeting. I was working in shorts. The flooring was rotted. The nut plates from the seat bases just pulled up thru the floor when I pried them up. The scews were just turning. Here's some pictures with the console removed and carpet removed.BoatE.JPGBoatA.JPGBoatB.JPGBoatC.JPGBoatD.JPG

Here's the floor removed. I'm now going to concentrated on reworking the trailer. I've ordered a new axle and hubs with studs, itBoat_1859.JPGBoat_1858.JPG will be here in about 2 weeks. The old one was pretty rusted and the hubs used bolts to hold the tires on. I purchased Alum wheels and tires to replace the old white spoke rims with 2005 tires on them.

Back