Logo

1989 mariner 25HP wont idle very hard to start.

Kyle1468

hello everyone, I have a 1989 mariner 25HP 2 stroke and it only starts at mid to full throttle if you try to idle down it dies acts like it starves for fuel. I know carb is good spark plugs are new and gapped right new fuel lines etc. I was told to check the recirculation lines coming off the reed block. if anyone has anything else that would help id appreciate it.

Tje low speed screw is in front of the carb. The base gasket is behind the carb and the furl pump gets its pulse through that gasket. If it is on wrong or the wring one the pump will not work.

You know the carb is good?? How do you know this? Symptoms would logically indicate a clogged idle circuit.
I assumed because it was just rebuilt but I do not trust what the previous person is saying they had done to it, so I am soaking carb in vinegar, and I ordered a rebuild kit for it as well as complete gaskets. I did find that the rubber reed block gasket had a small chunk missing out of it would this have a possibility of causing this situation?

Tje low speed screw is in front of the carb. The base gasket is behind the carb and the furl pump gets its pulse through that gasket. If it is on wrong or the wring one the pump will not work.
okay found the screw... do you happen to know the factory starting carb settings? I also ordered a rebuild and gasket set so hopefully if the gasket is wrong this will fix that issue.

The reed block gasket needs to be replaced. Hopefully you ordered a quality Quicksilver or sierra kit that has the fuel pump and primer assembly. What is your compression "good" is not an answer.

The reed block gasket needs to be replaced. Hopefully you ordered a quality Quicksilver or sierra kit that has the fuel pump and primer assembly. What is your compression "good" is not an answer.
compression in top cylinder is 109 bottom cylinder was 104. and haven't ordered yet was going to order when I get off work I can look up those brands and try to get one of them.

Back