Logo

1989 Johnson GT 200 Steering Rod Stuck

Cliff43J

1989 Johnson GT 200: I am attempting to get ready to install an hydraulic steering system. I have run into a SNAFU. I cannot get the "steering rod" out of its cylinder - not certain of the correct terminology. See photos. The rod on the right side cannot be withdrawn any further...it moves freely back and forth, but it will not come out. The control cable has been cut off. The rod on the left side is stuck and appears to be separated internally from the right part of the rod. I watched a video on YouTube on how to remove the rod, proceeded as shown and ended up with this dilemma. What has gone wrong, and how do I fix it? I am trying to get the outboard working. I bought it and the boat and trailer from a bankruptcy liquidation, and would really like to resurrect it to take my grandsons fishing - 5 & 6 years old. Thanx.

Attachments

• Steering Rod Right.jpg
    Steering Rod Right.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Steering Rod Left.jpg
    Steering Rod Left.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Cut the end with the hole off.-----Or cut the other end !-----Should be easy to get it out.
The problem is that they are now 2 separate pieces. I believe that the rod is supposed to be one solid piece, but it appears to have broken somewhere inside the cylinder. The video said that the piece with the hole should just slide through the cylinder with some friendly persuasion, if need be, via a block of wood and a mallet followed by a dowel and a mallet. Dried and or caked old grease is said to be the issue. I don't have a solid, one piece rod now.

Thanks for the input. Obviously I did not know how the ram was built. It is a telescoping tube. I managed to get it as far as I could tonight, but not all the way out. I need to buy a dowel to push it through from the port side. The grease on it is as hard as a rock in some places, but a wee bit of gentle persuasion coaxed it through. I did find a video, "Replacing an Outboard Tilt Tube" by Dangar Marine on YouTube. It is very helpful.

Back