Logo

1989 Evinrude 88 SPL (E88MSLCER) Power Head Check Valves

drobertsobx

Hi,
While inspecting the powerhead, I noticed that one of the check valves (392988 ) was bent.
I removed all 4 and while inspecting them 2 of the check valves were non-functional
(couldn't blow air through them) and the filter screens could not be cleaned(black color hardened).
I have ordered replacements. The other 2 cleaned up just fine and could get air in one direction no problem.

My question is :
could the 2 non working valves have caused any damage?

Thanks in advance Don

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1
Also does anybody have a chart or diagram for the routing of the lines? I cannot find anything about them in the Seloc Book.
OK I found the diagram under fuel system, however it looks nothing like what I have...

It shows the system plumbed with individual hoses on each cylinder bypass cover.

I only have hose nipples from cylinders 1 and 2 on the bypass covers.
Both intakes have 2 check valves

I have 3 hoses 2 are @18" and one is about 15" with a Tee to 2 short hoses

Using witness bends I was able to match one of the long ones to cylinder 2 bypass cover (picture 1)

Attachments

• 20230922_124710.jpg
    20230922_124710.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230922_125728.jpg
    20230922_125728.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 3
The factory manual shows these details,------the 2 hoses that have the T go to nipple for main bearing near center of the block.----Starboard side.----Often times the SELOC manuals are missing important details and are best used in the little house with the moon in the door.

The factory manual shows these details,------the 2 hoses that have the T go to nipple for main bearing near center of the block.----Starboard side.----Often times the SELOC manuals are missing important details and are best used in the little house with the moon in the door.
Thanks for the info, I just purchased the original service manual from Ken cooks site. The seloc has been utterly useless for everything I have tried to do thus far.

Lesson learned about putting fuel lines into a sealed plastic bag... I honestly thought they were vacuum lines...
The line should have been marked B/W (line color)[ One Dot)] according to my motor... the Starboard bypass 1 line the other bypass (only surviving mark) 3 lines.

Attachments

• 2023-09-23 08.25.14.jpg
    2023-09-23 08.25.14.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
I'm debating whether to go ahead and order 2 more check valves and replace all 4. It seems they are responsible for 2 very important things in lubrication to bearings and keeping excess fuel building up... Am I over thinking things?

Back