Logo

1989 60 hp elpto

mschein1

Hey all!

I have a 89 60hp ELPTO that last year the impeller disentigrated and the motor got extremely hot! I was just starting a fishing tournament, so we shut it down and let it cool off. It would fire right back up and were able to get it to the dock. Replaced the impeller and noticed alot of water in the cowling, but was still starting and running fine other than leaking water. I replaced the water jacket and that seemed to clear up the leaking, however then the boat would no longer start.

Fast forward to a year of tinkering with it, replacing plugs, filters, cleaning carbs and rebuilding fuel pump. I swallowed my pride and took it to the boat mechanic, he said the motor was 180 degrees out of timing and thought it needed a new trigger. Ordered that and still timing was way off. They then said the flywheel hub was most likely spun and that the motor was shot as a new flywheel is unavailable. Question, how does this happen and is this common? I found a used flywheel on Ebay and am awaiting arrival of that before I take the old one off.

Anyone have any similar experiences and have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

They're either incompetent of are BSing you. The flywheel is splined to the shaft and can not slip. The flywheel bolts to the center hub with 8 bolts and can be installed incorrectly, however. That may be what's going on, but I fear you cooled the rings by running it overheated and the PH is scrap.

Hope I'm wrong.

Jeff

They're either incompetent of are BSing you. The flywheel is splined to the shaft and can not slip. The flywheel bolts to the center hub with 8 bolts and can be installed incorrectly, however. That may be what's going on, but I fear you cooled the rings by running it overheated and the PH is scrap.

Hope I'm wrong.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! I have a flywheel being delivered today, so we will see it was cheap enough that it was worth the shot. Looks like I am motor hunting.

Also, Jeff a little more background for you. I was fishing a tournament and my impeller disentegrated, probably ran the boat for 15 minutes with no circulation. It was hot! But once it cooled, it fired right back up and took us to the dock. Then changed the impelller but saw the water jacket gasket was leaking, that was replaced and that is when the engine would no longer start. All three cylinders had 120 psi.

Back