Logo

1989 150xp Intermittent Spark

Stratos89

The issue I have is when trying to start the engine after it sits for a few days. I have no spark on any of the cylinders. I have verified this by using a spark tester set at 7/16". I tried it with the plugs in and out, same result. The ignition and kill switch were replaced last year. The rectifier/regulator was replaced after it quit working also. The power pack was replaced a few years ago. I have done some testing on the stator. The resistance is within specs, the voltage from the output test is solid at 201, and 198. The manual requires 200 volts, so my question is, is the 198 reading causing the problem? I have tried to test the timer base, without much success. It may be the type of multimeter I am using but I do not get any readings from a resistance test. Here is the strange part. If I keep trying, it will eventually start to fire on a couple of cylinders, then take off on all of them. It will start and run great the rest of the day. I have been through all the plugs and wires to make sure the connections are good. Any ideas?

As far as the ignition system is concerned 198 volts and 200 volts is exactly the same and it will work with those numbers !-----A battery / battery wires / starter motor in poor condition will lead to " no spark "-----the flywheel must turn rapidly to make spark from the system.-----Flywheel magnets have been checked and they are secure ?

So, are the volt readings I am getting a result of the flywheel spinning at the proper rate? I have a new battery and the connections are tight and clean. It spins as it always has. I can't get a spark out if it even when I take the plugs out, which makes it turn even faster. I did go through all the connectors and grounds last night. I will put the muffs on it and see what hapeens tonight. I appreciate all the suggestions, you guys do have a lot of experience. The frustrating part for me is I am following all this great advice and cannot seem to locate the problem. The parts I am testing are good based on the spec guides. I will let you know the results.

I just went threw this on mine, and it was my starter dragging got a new one and she started beautifully. Also if you have two batteries disconnect it from your selector switch and connect your cable straight to your starting battery bypassing your switch, and see if that helps. You should be cranking over 250 rpms. Also verify the red and yellow wire to your pack has voltage at cranking.Start with bad connections as stated above.

I followed your suggestions and went through the wiring. I also threw some new brushes into the starter. It fired right up!! The rebuilt carbs took care of the lean miss I had at idle. You guys rock!!!

Thank you

Back