Logo

1988 mercruiser 3.0L sterndrive won't go into gear

obone0124

Was going along in river about 5mph and went to speed up and motor just revved up. I put it back in neutral and tried to get into gear and it did not "clunk" into gear at all just revved up. Got towed back to dock and tried putting in gear when shut off and prop would not spin but did ratchet in opposite direction. Not sure if this is related but 2 weeks ago was goin at 5mph and motor stalled almost as if I ran into some weeds but didnt. When I tried to restart motor would not turn over and the steering wheel kind of bucked to one side. I turned pulley on motor by hand and then started up and it ran fine. This same thing happen in driveway when I pulled it out after not going into gear. i turned pulley by hand and then motor fired up but still would not go in gear. Thanks for any help. I did try to disconnect throttle cable and pulled on it to see if it was broken but did not appear to be.

think you may have spun a coupler, with the engine off it still may have enough drag to hold prop shaft, but not under load. by chance did you smell burning rubber when you reved it up and went nowhere?

Engine has to come out after OD is removed. A few hundred for the part and several hundred for the labor.

Drain the gear oil see alot of metal pieces ? Yes then pull the top plate off maybe the drive went.

Ayuh,.... I Agree,.... Drain the oil, 'n See what it looks like....

Then pull the lower unit,... is the spline still attached at the top,..??
Then check the upper's gears...

Back