Logo

1988 merc 35 overfueling

jamie e

OK fellas, the brother in law just bought him a 1988 pontoon with the mercury 35hp 2cyl. Did not test run it before purchasing, and I happen to be his mechanic. The carb has been rebuilt. The problem with it is, it will only idle with the throttle pushed forward some, and can't get the full top end range at WOT. So today we take it to the lake, and I ride on the back with the engine cover removed, so I can look into the carb while under load. I can see it's looks to be pouring in to much gas from the main large brass jet in the center of the carb. Running rich. If I use a flat head screw driver, and slightly cover the jet to slow the fuel flow the engine kicks in high speed and the boat really starts to haul!
Remove the screw driver and it starts bogging but will continue to run until it's put in neutral. The primer gets hard and don't really leak any fuel .
Anyone seen this before?
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
She definitely running rich,float setting not adjusted properly? Fuel pump out of wack? needle&seat has debris in it,causing flooding

That be the idle and main discharge air inlet...it adds air to the main discharge atomizing it instead of it being a raw mix of fuel.This tube if clogged can cause the issue your experiencing and if the bowl vent and main jet are reversed since carbs was rebuilt or main jet missing can do this too. My bet is jets wrong place.....

That be the idle and main discharge air inlet...it adds air to the main discharge atomizing it instead of it being a raw mix of fuel.This tube if clogged can cause the issue your experiencing and if the bowl vent and main jet are reversed since carbs was rebuilt or main jet missing can do this too. My bet is jets wrong place.....

Thanks for the reply. I used a torch tip cleaner in that tube but haven't got to run it yet. So your saying that tiny little tube add a significant amount of air to affect it?

My brother n law told me that he could not get the jets out so they left it alone. But Yea runs like the jet is missing all together.

Back