Logo

1988 Mariner 45 water mixed into cylinders 3&4........?

vincentdsnt

Since Cyl 3&4 are connected by the Transfer Port can water get into the these cylinders with a bad Transfer port gasket? Top Cylinders 1&2 are fine the bottom two have the same amount of moisture......any ideas? I guess this would be the same as the Mercury inline 4&6 cylinders. Thank You !

???----There is no water at the transfer port covers.-----But replace the gasket and see if it solves the issue.
Well I am stumped by only two cylinders at the bottom with the same problem ......do you know if the exhaust ports are separated 1&2 / 3&4 in the exhaust chamber? In other words can a water jacket leak on the exhaust side effect only two cylinders? Thank You

Yes it could be the exhaust side has a leak.----Replace the 2 gaskets there.----Hopefully bolts come out easy.----They usually do on a fresh water motor.

Yes it could be the exhaust side has a leak.----Replace the 2 gaskets there.----Hopefully bolts come out easy.----They usually do on a fresh water motor.
Thank You now I have to pull the powerhead..........Oh Fun ! And It is a fresh water engine with about 70 hrs on it ,I mean like new owned it since new, it's a long store.

Yes I see in the manual the baffle plate kind of isolates those two bottom cylinders a water jacket leak in that extended baffled area could be the problem. I will let you know what I find soon I hope.

Pulling the power head and those parts horizontal makes it easier to clean old gaskets.----And to install new gaskets.----Motor needs a new water pump impeller about every 5 years.----Might as well do that now.

The motor this year has a new impeller, trigger, stator, ignition mod, rebuilt carbs, runs great on the top two cylinders now that its running I see the bottom two are getting milky on the plugs and not firing........I mean very lite amount of milky color to the mix. The boat is mine since new in 1988 an Aluminum 17V Tournament Bass Tracker that I love and got stolen and recovered 12 years later ! I have totally refitted her with coosa board decks and carpet, new everything no matter the cost it's done and now the motor is giving me a poke from sitting out of my care. The blessing is the motor was not running for the thief that stole it..........I disabled it the night It was stored . I should buy a new 4 stroke but they weigh another 70+ lbs that I don't want off the back of the boat, and I am stubborn and want my old motor for my old boat to match my old man brain. My project.

boat 1.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Those 4 cylinder motors are just excellent.------If you have the " autoblend " oil mixing unit with this motor , then take it off and throw it away !

Did that a few times in the last years and running premixed now......Mine is fine but I just don't think it's needed for the extra worry involved.

Back