Logo

1988 Johnson Sailmaster CJ4RDHCCS Cooling Hose to Nowhere

RogerCA

New to me 1988 Johnson Sailmaster CJ4RDHCCS (the Canadian version) and I don't understand what's going on with the cooling water indicator discharge. The hose appears to have been deliberately cut.

cooling_hose_001.jpg

cooling_hose_002.jpg

This just doesn't look right to me. There doesn't seem to be any place for it to obviously connect or any place that is spewing water out all over the place. It doesn't seem to reach that nipple to the immediate left in the second picture.

Does this model have a thermostat in it? I can't find anything definitive either way.

Thanks!

Update -- I checked again and that nipple rotates around and so I think the hose should probably go in there. Maybe it got disconnected for winterization purposes?

New to me 1988 Johnson Sailmaster CJ4RDHCCS (the Canadian version) and I don't understand what's going on with the cooling water indicator discharge. The hose appears to have been deliberately cut.

This just doesn't look right to me. There doesn't seem to be any place for it to obviously connect or any place that is spewing water out all over the place. It doesn't seem to reach that nipple to the immediate left in the second picture.

Does this model have a thermostat in it? I can't find anything definitive either way.

Thanks!

I think it may well have a thermostat. it appears to have the same powerhead as European 5hp, 6hp and 8hp engines

The thermostat if fitted will be under the triangular cover at the top of the cylinder head. See the diagram below

4 hp engines normally do not have a thermostat nor do they have a water cooled exhaust cover and tell tale.

I think you are going to find a lot if differences from the normal US built 4 hp engines. It will be vital to always quote the model number when ordering parts

cylinder hed and thermostat.jpg

Thanks everyone! I also see from the ever-helpful leeroysramblings that the water impeller is assisted by prop-wash and some people report they tend to overheat if idled for a while, so I'll try that also.

Despite the model number stamped on it, the cowling says it's an 8hp, so... always an adventure!

Hi everyone -- here's a followup!

The following are the correct replacement parts for this engine:
0396644 WTR PUMP REP KIT
0389577 IMPELLER HSG

The old impeller was missing two fins:

CAiS0WS.jpg

After replacing that that, it is ejecting cooling water very nicely and running at a good temperature.

Also replaced spark plugs, and despite the little sticker on the side, the correct oil ratio seems to be 50:1.

Thanks for everyone's help!

They will idle all day long without overheating!!!-----Clearly it is the 6 / 8 hp version.----I do not believe the 4 HP was ever marketed with the battery charging bits.---

They will idle all day long without overheating!!!-----Clearly it is the 6 / 8 hp version.----I do not believe the 4 HP was ever marketed with the battery charging bits.------The 4 / 6 / 8 HP models did share many of the same midsection / lower unit parts.

Back