Logo

1988 Johnson 90 V4 VRO Poor idle question

ndgregor

Hello,

I have owned this motor for 10 years now and have had no issues or complaints, and this summer it had been running well. About a week ago I had it out for a trip that required prolonged periods of idling in no wake zones, but was also running it opened up as well. For whatever reason now it does not want to to idle well. After starting it (with throttle) you need to quickly get it into gear before it stalls. It seems to be idling at a very low RPM compared to what I recall, almost as if it’s stumbling. It will do this for a little bit then stall out. It runs and starts fine otherwise.

I tried new plugs and that did not seem to help. Is there an idle stop screw somewhere that can be adjusted? It almost seems to me like that setting may need to be adjusted to provide more throttle position at idle, I’m kind of doubting a plugged idle jet myself. Any thoughts or advice?

Accept the fact that the compression values should be posted.----Always the first step in trouble shooting this type of engine.----These engines are world famous for broken piston rings !

Back