Logo

1988 Evinrude 15

I have an evinrude 15 from 1988 that someone gave me. I have replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, and the carburetor cover. I hooked gas and a hose using muffs but I get get it to start. Help!

Procedure is always the same.----Post the actual compression test results.-----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on a test device, yes or no ?-----Put 6-1/2 drops of fuel in each sparkplug hole.----Install plugs.----Try and start it.-----Report what happens on that test.

Procedure is always the same.----Post the actual compression test results.-----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on a test device, yes or no ?-----Put 6-1/2 drops of fuel in each sparkplug hole.----Install plugs.----Try and start it.-----Report what happens on that test.
Exactly. If the compression and spark test out fine it should start. You can also use a squirt bottle to shoot some pre-mix into the carb throat when diagnosing. If it will start when fuel is squirted in, but not on its own, then you likely have a plugged carb or a bad fuel pumps. Carb kits are cheap and these fuel pumps are cheap and easy to rebuild.

Exactly. If the compression and spark test out fine it should start. You can also use a squirt bottle to shoot some pre-mix into the carb throat when diagnosing. If it will start when fuel is squirted in, but not on its own, then you likely have a plugged carb or a bad fuel pumps. Carb kits are cheap and these fuel pumps are cheap and easy to rebuild.
ok thank you I will try that when I get a chance. I just bought a new fuel pump so I’m not sure it’s that. And the carburetor looked really clean when I took it out and inspected it. Im gonna try a compression test next time I am working on the engine. Thank you guys for the help

Fuel pump has nothing to do with the motor starting.----With a full carburetor bowl the motor should start.--------Then fuel pump works from crankcase compression pressure to keep motor supplied with fuel.

Back