Logo

1988 Alpha One Gen. One shifting problem

1973 Browning Marine

Regular Contributor
Had boat out for the first time this season. Boat did sit on trailer for over seven months. But I periodically run, lube and maintain as much as I feel is required and or needed. Anyway, the boat ran great all morning up until mid afternoon when I noticed that it became more difficult to shift from forward to neutral and or reverse. Decided to head in and had to wait in a line to get on trailer and noticed it became even worse. When shifting out of forward boat would go directly into reverse passing neutral completely. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Thanks Chris, figured it to probably be just that or maybe lower shift cable failure. Just needed some input. I sure as heck hope it is not the lower shift cable. It just worked so good a few months back. * But, it has sat on trailer for quite some time! I think I have a spare shift interrupt switch lying around my shop somewhere. Is it possible that it could be a simple adjustment on the shift plate on the engine? I hope I did not damage anything by pushing (pretty hard) to get out of gear. Had a pretty hard time trying to get boat back to loading ramp. Maybe I can shoot some wd-40 into the casings on both casings to free them up a little. I guess the failed switch makes it hard to come out of gear. Right? thanks again Chris, Tom

Back