Logo

1988 60 hp ring gap setting

Are you inspecting your parts ?----Are you going to put new rings in old worn out piston grooves ?----Usually about 0.004" / inch of piston diameter.------So on your motor 0.012" to 0.025" maximum.----Is this the motor that would only reach 3100 RPM ?-----What did you find on it ???

Last edited:
Are you inspecting your parts ?----Are you going to put new rings in old worn out piston grooves ?----Usually about 0.004" / inch of piston diameter.------So on your motor 0.012" to 0.025" maximum.----Is this the motor that would only reach 3100 RPM ?-----What did you find on it ???

Hello, So I have had the block re sleeved and have gotten the new pistons and rings. I believe my gap on the new rings is about .011 but I have nothing to verify to. I have checked the rings by placing them 1/2 inch in the checking the gap with feeler gages, this is where the .011 comes from so they may be ok. Just strange right out of the box ok!!!

Most parts are precision made these days.-----Why re-sleeving ?-----Usually you bore them out and fit an O/S piston and rings.

Most parts are precision made these days.-----Why re-sleeving ?-----Usually you bore them out and fit an O/S piston and rings.
So the motor only had 75 lbs compression, when I took it part to look at the rings, they where scored but the pistons had picked up and gouged the walls 100th deep in places. Not sure how it actually ran but it did. So it was cheaper just to do the work to bring it back to stock. I dont need more than 40 hp in the first place. But another used engine is 2k at least and still not 100% if it had been damaged. So for that money I just said rebuild what i have and I will know what is in it then. I think in the past the oil injector stopped and killed it before i got it, mixed gas since I have it.
I think the rings are close but I will take a little off them to get them in around say the .015 mark. Yes this is the same 3100 rpm motor, I think with the damaged cylinder walls it just could not get the 5000 rpm under load.

Best partner had pulled it apart mid summer saw the damage put it back together and ran the rest of the season lol. The cylinder wall were worse. I was surprised it ran also.

Back