Logo

1988 35hp Mercury Trigger,Stator,Powerpack test

Can anyone tell me a brief description on how to check the trigger,stator, and powerpack on a 1988 35hp mercury
The motor has no fire what so ever and thinking it could be any of those three or a loose or clipped wire.
I know theres ways to check these parts with checking ohms and voltage, but could someone give me a good discription please.

First of all disconnect the kill wire and check again. (It's either an orange wire, or a black wire with a yellow tracer.) If you still have a problem, try this:

1. Find the wires going to the trigger coil and check them for continuity with a meter; open circuit is bad, where any resistance reading usually is okay.

2. If the trigger is okay, then you probably need a switch box. Try eBay for used ones.

Jeff

First of all disconnect the kill wire and check again. (It's either an orange wire, or a black wire with a yellow tracer.) If you still have a problem, try this:

1. Find the wires going to the trigger coil and check them for continuity with a meter; open circuit is bad, where any resistance reading usually is okay.

2. If the trigger is okay, then you probably need a switch box. Try eBay for used ones.

Jeff

we disconnected the kill wire and still no spark, and how do I check the stator? but tell me this, is the trigger and the stator the same thing or are they different?

The spinning flywheel uses the stator to generate voltage pulses for the switch box capacitor.-----------The trigger tells the switchbox when to fire the coils.-----Trigger and stator are seperate items.

The spinning flywheel uses the stator to generate voltage pulses for the switch box capacitor.-----------The trigger tells the switchbox when to fire the coils.-----Trigger and stator are seperate items.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Is there any way to check to see if the switch box is bad?

Do an ohms check on stator and trigger.----------------Look for -------------cdi -------website for instructions.-------If those check good then most folks would replace the switch box.

I’m having an issue where I replace the coils and the wires and plugs and the CDI box because I was losing spark on one plug and when I fix the CDI box /switch box, it worked fine went out two times the second time out. It started doing the same thing again. Does anybody have any idea what it would be next

The idea would be to start a new thread of your own.

Maybe even tell us the model of the motor and the problem(s) you are having.

Back