Logo

1987 Evinrude remote control need help

waterboy76

I need to replace the remote control box on my boat, ouboard is a 1987 evinrude 150 hp. I’ve searched and cant find an answer, i want to do this myself to save money, basically i need to know which control box to get and if i need an adapter. I dont want to buy a use one on ebay, i want a new one, either aftermarket or oem, but need help, dont know which of one i need for my boat or outboard. Thanks in advance

What type of control box ?---What type of boat ?-----Picture of your control box ?-----A control box with the BIG RED PLUG will work.----Look for one from about 1979 to 1995.----In my opinion these control boxes are very good and easy to repair.-----So what is wrong with yours and what is your motor doing / not doing ?

Thanks for your reply, with that comment about the big red plug and more research i believe i had all the info needed for a new control box. I’ll go ahead and stay here with more questions, so i dont have to open a new thread. This is an 1987 boat and outboard that i had for a while and keep it in good condition but you know eventually need to replace parts, my motor is a 150 hp evinrude and has a dual steering system and is time to replace it, i have a new helm in a box and single cable, so my question is can i go ahead and set it up as single cable? I use to have an evinrude 175 hp for years with a single cable and never had a problem. The outboard has the bracket set up for two cable, can i eliminate the bracket and just use a single cable? If is possible, i have it new in the box already why spend more.

Thanks for your reply, with that comment about the big red plug and more research i believe i had all the info needed for a new control box. I’ll go ahead and stay here with more questions, so i dont have to open a new thread. This is an 1987 boat and outboard that i had for a while and keep it in good condition but you know eventually need to replace parts, my motor is a 150 hp evinrude and has a dual steering system and is time to replace it, i have a new helm in a box and single cable, so my question is can i go ahead and set it up as single cable? I use to have an evinrude 175 hp for years with a single cable and never had a problem. The outboard has the bracket set up for two cable, can i eliminate the bracket and just use a single cable? If is possible, i have it new in the box already why spend more.
NO you cannot replace a dual cable system with a single steering cable.

Why not ??----The duel cable set-up is optional and recommended for high performance boats.---I would use the single cable , no problem.----Just hook up to the tilt tube.

Im confused now, there tons of boat out there with single cable, like i mention in my previous post, i use to own an evinrude 175 with a single cable for years. i know it is possible but want to make sure first. Can i leave the dual helm and just run one cable or i have to switch to the single cable helm?

Im confused now, there tons of boat out there with single cable, like i mention in my previous post, i use to own an evinrude 175 with a single cable for years. i know it is possible but want to make sure first. Can i leave the dual helm and just run one cable or i have to switch to the single cable helm?
Do what you want.

Do what you want.
Dont get me wrong, i know you want me to do it the right way, safe way. But since i have a new helm n cable in the box im looking for advice because if i can use it, than there no need to spend the extra money specially on a older boat that i use on lakes only. Im still waiting for answer, i need to know if i switch to single cable, do i need to install the single cable helm, or i can use the dual one and just install one cable?

SMH is right? Go with the single cable. At least, I think I know what happened here. There is a bit of confusion going on maybe? You're just talking about the steering (helm) cable? Honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a 2 cable system on any boat, but I don't deal with larger than 175HP motors at all.

But that said... here is where I'm thinking some confusion might be happening... The last ETECs were fly-by-wire and had a single connection to the motor, maybe that is the confusion? You're talking about Steering only, not throttle/shift, which is the other cables.

Anyway, straight answer...Single cable steering is all I've ever seen on HP from 35 to 175. Well, except the old fashion cable and pulleys like an small aircraft uses. Even the twins were just linked together and used a single cable.

Dual steering cables were quite common on high performance boats.----OMC had an accessory kit to install such a system.----I have a few of those kits.----I have a dual cable system somewhere too.

Must be a ocean thing. I can see the need, not only easy of control, but safety. Not a big factor on rivers up here, so we don't see them here.

The part # for the duel cable adapter kit is 0174798.------Fairly common item in many areas for go fast , bass / ski boats !!!

Back