Logo

1987 Evinrude 9.9 No Spark On Both Cylinders

Logan Cooke

I was given a 1987 Evinrude 9.9 (E10RCUE) that needs work. When I first got it, it had a spark on both cylinders. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the spark plugs. (L77Jc4) It sat outside for a week or two while I waited on parts. Now it doesn’t have any spark… (no spark with new or old plugs) I tested the stator, trigger, and coils with a multimeter and everything was within spec except both coils read 1.2 ohms when it is supposed to be .2-1.0 ohms. I'm using a $5 Harbor Freight multimeter so I'm not sure how accurate the 1.2 ohms is. I also tested the spark plug wires and didn't have any reading on one, and the other would change dramatically with the slightest movement of the probes. I also tested the kill switch, it is working properly. (no reading unless the button is pushed or the kill switch clip is removed)

I pulled the spark plug boot off the wire with no reading and the end is corroded. I ordered new spark plug wires and am trying to figure out what to do next. If the power pack went bad, how do I figure out what made it go bad? I checked all the grounds and they are all still tightly fastened down. If a ground is corroded, could that cause the issue? This is my first time troubleshooting an ignition system so I am still new to this.

This is the video I followed for testing the ignition system

yes all electrical circuits need a ground. take pack off and put it in the oven at like 120 degrees for half hour to dry it out. if you now have spark replace the pack. resistance tests dont tell you squat other than it needs to be replaced if out of spec. cranking voltage with a DVA adapter is really what you need. 90% of the time its the pack on these though if both arent firing and you disconnected the KILL WIRE to rule out stop switch.

I disconnected the kill wire and cleaned the grounds. still no spark. I ordered a new power pack, which will arrive in a couple of days.

Back