Logo

1987 evinrude 70 vro no fuel or spark

bp_redbear

Howdy.
Trying to repair a 1987 Evinrude 70 vro (E70TLCUR)
Backstory:
I bought a 16' boat ('80 Four Winns Marquise 170) that included a 1987 Evinrude 70 vro motor for $600. The previous owner of the boat had purchased it to take the 90 hp evinrude motor off and use it on his pontoon boat. This 70 hp motor was on the pontoon boat before it overheated.

That's pretty much all the information I have as to why the 70 won't run. (He said it was running, but not good, thinking that perhaps the water flow stopped due to a bad water pump). He also said that there was water on a spark plug when he removed one of them.

I purchased, and have installed, the following parts:

Water Pump kit
Head Gasket
Thermostat
T'stat Cover Gasket
In-line Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Fuel hose connector (motor end)
Gear Oil (lower)
Cap and gasket for Primer Solenoid (Valve was broken, unable to rotate)

Cranking the motor I don't see any fuel getting to any of the 3 cylinders, and there does not seem to be a spark at any of the plugs.

I am testing the motor using a 5 gal. fuel can with 50:1 mixed fuel, new 3/8 fuel line, existing primer bulb. I verified that I have fuel at the output of the in-line fuel filter, but I don't believe that the pump is working. There is not any fuel coming out of the cylinders with the plugs removed and cranking over. No odor of fuel, either, at the spark plug holes.

There does not seem to be a spark at either of the 3 plugs when connected and grounded to the block and motor cranking.

Could I have a bad fuel pump (vro type) and a bad power pack, as well? Could the stator have melted open? I don't know how hot the motor was when it "quit".

The head gasket was definitely bad. There was a breach of the gasket between cyl 1 and 2 where water would definitely enter the cyls.
The metal rings in the gasket were broken in that area and missing some material that would seem to have gone into cylinder 2. There was scoring where the metal bits may have done some damage to #2 cylinder/piston/and probably rings.

No compression test. I wanted to get 'er fired up. I'd imagine cylinder 2 may be low.

Again, no fuel, no spark. Some fuel leaked out of the Primer Solenoid head when I rotated it. The valve is strangely loose.

I have purchased a 1987 Evinrude 65-70 manual and a Seloc 1308.

Time to ask for help! The setting is a driveway job. I don't have a garage. I have experience as a machine mechanic/technician/mill right in precision metal manufacturing and food processing and packaging equipment, but not trained as a engine mechanic.

You need to do a compression test. Does it have any spark? Have you checked it on an open air tester? Is the lanyard switch on? Primer working? Using throttle and pushing kry in while starting?

I was trying to start the motor while using the key, held in Start position, pressing inward on the key to prime. I didn't hold the key in continuously, though. There didn't seem to be getting even a sniff of fuel in the cylinders.
The lanyard switch was on, and it would still allow me to turn the motor over using the key. Odd, but not sure why.

I was watching a plug in free air, and couldn't detect a spark at a plug, with the plug grounded to the motor. I tried it with two of them.
The Priming solenoid was clicking audibly, and it seemed to have fuel at its valve. When I turned the valve to manual fuel leaked out of it. I used the new gasket/seal and Schrader valve with the old solenoid valve to avoid popping off the small lines from the head of the primer. Perhaps the primer solenoid's caps are slightly different. I don't recall the old valve (which was snapped off) being loose. The new valve is loose in the old cap.
I never smelled fuel in any of the cylinders and the plugs appeared dry.

I don't have an open air tester or a compression gage, but I should

When the cylinder head was off did you not see the scored cylinders ??-----Motor needs a complete teardown and inspection.----Rebuild if crank and rods are good.

I knew that I was taking a chance on it. The motor was thrown in for $100. The boat and trailer were $500, together.

And, I learned a few things about 2-cycle engines. Too bad I hadn't looked inside the engine before ordering the motor parts.

At the least I've got a good lower with new oil and a new water pump.

Going to look at a Johnson 150 FS, tomorrow!

Just another example of why I preach compression test as a first step.----And evaluating a used motor before spending any beer tokens for parts !!!

Just another example of why I preach compression test as a first step.----And evaluating a used motor before spending any beer tokens for parts !!!

Understood (a little too late), and point taken! The steps that I took were in the reverse of the proper procedure. It's embarrassing. Definitely a learning experience. The fast strike johnny150 that I am looking at, later today, will get a comp test straight away! Hoping it's strong bc those Johnny150's have a good rep!

Back