Logo

1987 3.0 litre Mercruiser Repair

Vinnie2

I think that the impeller went on my Mercruiser. Engine was badly overheated and won't start. Low pressure in three cylinders. Expect the engine repair to be costly.

Boat is a 1987 16 foot open bow invader in very good condition. Only 667 hours on the engine.

Don't know whether to pay the costs of repair or try to sell. Selling will be a long shot, since the boat is not functional.

What is the likely cost of the repair? That will likely settle the matter for me. Thanks for any input.

I think that the impeller went on my Mercruiser. Engine was badly overheated and won't start. Low pressure in three cylinders. Expect the engine repair to be costly.

Boat is a 1987 16 foot open bow invader in very good condition. Only 667 hours on the engine.

Don't know whether to pay the costs of repair or try to sell. Selling will be a long shot, since the boat is not functional.

What is the likely cost of the repair? That will likely settle the matter for me. Thanks for any input.

No way to tell. If you are lucky, just head removal, new gasket and have existing head checked for cracks and warp... If just warped, can be machined. Then again.... "badly" overheated can result in an engine that needs a total replacement. No way to tell without at least removing the head. Is there water in the oil????

No way to tell. If you are lucky, just head removal, new gasket and have existing head checked for cracks and warp... If just warped, can be machined. Then again.... "badly" overheated can result in an engine that needs a total replacement. No way to tell without at least removing the head. Is there water in the oil????

Thanks. I'll check the oil. Assuming I'm lucky -- just head removal etc., what the likely cost?

Typically a "head job" is $250 , disassemble ,clean, inspect, Magna-Flux for cracks, grind and seat valves, check springs , reassemble

I have a 77 IL 6. I don't know what liter but my problem is that I have power coming from coil to router button but not to the plugs. I just got the boat and have done a lot of work to it. I went and got a new coil because I thought that was the problem before I got my tester so now I know that's not the problem and where I'm getting power and I'm just absolutely confused now a little help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

rotor shorted to the dist shaft grounding the spark

Thank you very much. Now I have fire but now I can't get the gas to stop pouring in the carburetor. I have cleaned it out all the way though but the valve on the float won't completely stop the gas so it keeps it flooded. I think this is my last problem lol. Yeah right.

Thank you very much. Now I have fire but now I can't get the gas to stop pouring in the carburetor. I have cleaned it out all the way though but the valve on the float won't completely stop the gas so it keeps it flooded. I think this is my last problem lol. Yeah right.

I have gotten a new needle valve and seat. It does not stop the gas. The only other option I can think of is to get a new carburetor. If you have any other opinion please let me know.

either installed incorectly , damaged during install , incorrect float height, gas soaked float

Okay so the float was a little bent so I straightened it out. Fixed the gas problem. Now it will turn over sound like it's going to run and shuts down. Does it every time I try. I have been trying to adjust the carburetor a little at a time and it does the same thing. I know your getting tired of hearing from me. Hell I'm getting tired of fixing one thing and finding another problem. Now it seems I'm down to this last thing I hope. Thank you for all your time.

Might just be major league flooded. Try pulling a few plugs and see if they're gas soaked. If so, pull them all, clean (or replace them) and try again.

Jeff

Might just be major league flooded. Try pulling a few plugs and see if they're gas soaked. If so, pull them all, clean (or replace them) and try again.

Jeff

Okay maybe this will be my last question. I narrowed it down to this. When the motor starts and I let go of the key the power to the coil stops. I ran a wire from the battery to the coil and it runs great. Obviously I have to disconnect the wire for it to turn off. Wow I think we're almost done.

Back