Logo

1986 Johnson GT150

wevie0037

J150STLCDC

This motor came to me a couple months ago. PO stated he didn't run it much and that the fuel in the tanks was a year old with stabilizer.

(VRO is disconnected so I mix the gas / oil)

Step one, I put it in the water to see if it would try to start. It did so...

Step two, I topped both tanks with 10 gallons each of good non eth fuel at 50:1 with Quicksilver.

Took the boat out. It took a bit to get it to start. It wouldn't idle below 1000, but I could get it in gear and go. I ran out one tank up and down the river. At this point it doesn't idle below 1k and it struggles a bit to get on plane.

Step three, new Champion spark plugs, new fuel lines, primer bulb, fuel filter. Fresh non ethanol gas in the tank I ran dry with 50:1 quicksilver. Rebuilt all three carbs using my ultrasonic cleaner. Simple carbs without any adjustment... :(

Took the boat out. Still would not idle. Ran better up top, but still was down on power when getting on plane. At this point I was able to fish up and down the river for a couple day.s

Found the timing advance was gummy.

Step four, pull the flywheel, remove the stator, clean all the old lubrication off the pivot and re-lubricate.

Took the boat out. Now it won't even start. It coughs. It sneezes. Choke, no choke, no throttle, some throttle.... it wouldn't come to life but it tried.

Step five, compression test (I know it should have been first). 91 or 92 in all cylinders. The interwebs tells me this is adequate for this motor.

Step six, spark test. Very little spark on ALL cylinders. I had to have the spark tester set at 1/8 inch just to see a tiny spark. Internet says it should jump 7/16.

This is where I'm at. It started and ran before I pulled the flywheel / stator. Now it doesn't have enough spark to start. I am two hours from my shop so I think I'm done for the weekend.

Next step - check stator output with DVA when I get the boat home next week.

Unless y'all have any advice I can try here at the campground. I have basic tools with me but no meter. I don't have my flywheel puller with me. What could have changed by pulling the stator, cleaning the advance bushing, and reassembly?

Compression test is always step#1 and your numbers are discouraging !----Have your battery load tested.-----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm check on windings.----Possibly new brushes ( $6.00 here )-----Some will argue, if flywheel does not spin at 250 RPM + you will not have any spark !

In all my googling, everything says 90 is good in this motor. Several threads here and on scream and fly many by Championman, so I'm going with the compression is good.

Took the boat home to the shop and decided to start from the beginning.

1.) Removed plugs and wires. Ensured switch off and kill switch pulled.

2.) Turned engine by hand to a few BTDC. Installed piston stop. Piston stop screwed all the way in without touching piston..... Hmmmm.....

3.) Removed piston stop and used long screwdriver to CAREFULLY feel for piston. It is there. SLOWLY and CAREFULLY turned motor by had while probing CAREFULLY with screwdriver until it felt I was near TDC.

4.) Observe flywheel is almost 90 degrees off.

5.) Pull flywheel and find sheared key.

A 50 cent key ruined a whole weekend. But... I also noticed that one of the flywheel magnets had come loose and slid over so I'll order some epoxy and put that back first. Will update when its back together.

Back