Logo

1986 Evinrude 9.9 no spark

Yes Dear

Hi there
Took the tinny out this morning for an early bass session.
Motor (Evinrude 9.9 1986 model) started as normal, warmd up for a few mins.
Took of and made about 50 meter and then motors just stopped, no splutter just stopped.
Tried to start for a while and then gave up and used the troll motor to fish close to ramp for a hwile before calling it.
Got home pulled plugs and they where wet, dired and tested for spark and nothing.
So do I go for coils or CDI or both?
Anyone had anything similar to this?

This motor has been realy easy to start till now.
Tested coils and got 100 % from small terminal to earth strap and 190 ohms between lead stud and wire stud.
Read on the net that this should be between 235 - 275 +-50 but not sure if these coils are the same.
Any help is appreciated.

no mate she is fine, actually disconnected it to remove as possibility till I fix.
May get a manual to check electrical specs and test process.

Hi there
Took the tinny out this morning for an early bass session.
Motor (Evinrude 9.9 1986 model) started as normal, warmd up for a few mins.
Took of and made about 50 meter and then motors just stopped, no splutter just stopped.
Tried to start for a while and then gave up and used the troll motor to fish close to ramp for a hwile before calling it.
Got home pulled plugs and they where wet, dired and tested for spark and nothing.
So do I go for coils or CDI or both?
Anyone had anything similar to this?

This motor has been realy easy to start till now.
Tested coils and got 100 % from small terminal to earth strap and 190 ohms between lead stud and wire stud.
Read on the net that this should be between 235 - 275 +-50 but not sure if these coils are the same.
Any help is appreciated.
Check the ground on Power pack..

CDI unit earth?
Looked good but will check again.
local mechanic said stator under flywheel?
only a guess.
This motor has been well looked after and had very little use, very clean.
Had been in storage for 5 years when I bought it and with fresh fuel sted on 4th pull.
I have had it up and down the river a few times and it started 1st pull each time.
Thanks

The 2 components under the flywheel can be tested without removing the flywheel.----Those bits are very reliable.----But take readings on the sensor coil and charge coil with a simple ohmmeter.----I say it is the CD module / powerpack.

just ordered a new CDI unit
would love to know what reading i should expect for above sensor and charge coil and where abouts the test points would be.
thanks for all the help gents!

Thanks Racer. Always good to check other components.....why? The pack could have failed from an outside source, eh?
Go to CDI Electronics and view their diagnostics manual. Take your time, find your motor. It's fun and easy.
Here is a screenshot to help direct you. CDI has helped me alot over the years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201115-222402.jpg
    Screenshot_20201115-222402.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Fitted new CDI pack motor started 2nd pull
Thanks for the help all.
Any idea what the 3 yellow wires are that go to the round plug on left side of motor.
cheers

Back