Logo

1986 Evinrude 15 hp Fuel supply issue

riverrocker

Hi All,

Need some help with a diagnosis. Have a 15 HP Evinrude 1986. First noticed issue on the water, motor seemed to be starving for fuel in high idle (would run about 20-30 seconds and die) but ran fine in low idle. Brought the boat in and let it sit for about 3-4 weeks, now won't start at all.

Confirmed both spark plugs are good. Each cylinder is getting about 60 psi of compression from 3 good pulls (pullstart).

Carb has been thoroughly cleaned with cleaner and compressed air. Gasket and float both are good.

Drained old fuel and mixed new - fuel pump appears to be working (squirts when pulling cord while disconnected from carb).

Carb bowl is filling, jet appears to be clear from obstructions. When attempting to start you can hear initial combustion and a few rotations but quickly dies out. If I let it sit for more than 5 minutes it takes a little longer to sputter out (3-5 seconds).

My guess is that fuel isn't making it to the engine but I'm not sure what to do next. Would appreciate any and all suggestions

How did the motor run for you last season ?----Was water pump impeller replaced about every 5 years ?----Compression should be about 90 PSI.-----So you need to test with another gauge.----Or pull cylinder head to inspect gasket and cylinder walls.

I purchased this about 2.5 years ago so not sure on water pump history. Ran fine last season. Will likely pull the power unit tonight and check out head gasket that seems like the logical next step. I've been considering upgrading to a 25 hp anyway so hesitant to sink too much money/time into fixing this one if its a cylinder issue.

Perhaps the motor overheated.----First thing most folks do , or need to do with a used outboard is some maintenance.----New impeller is at the top of the list.----Lucky you if it is a blown head gasket.

Back