Logo

1986 85 HP Towershaft/Throttle Linkage question

SPerrault

This motor has run fine for me since I got the boat 10 years ago. Was getting ready to pull up a skier and as I put motor into gear, instead of the usual click, click, click then into gear, I just got a single thump. Pushing the throttle forward the motor simply stayed at idle. Taking the cowl off and inspecting the motor, I noticed that a small plastic part that connects the throttle linkage to the trigger assembly had broken. (See attached picture for what these things look like) Basically when the throttle is pushed, this part moves the Trigger into position. I have ordered the replacement parts for this but was wondering if this may have caused any other issues with the motor, such as throwing off the timing?

Also, it looks like I may not be able to get at the area to replace this part (it is the END control rod) without removing the flywheel??? These plastic parts attach to the Spark Control ROD, so when the throttle is pushed it moves the Trigger assembly back and forth. (I am no outboard expert, but I think this controls the voltage for the spark plugs??)

Has anyone else had these plastic parts break and had to replace them? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Towershaft.jpg
    Towershaft.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 361
You should check the timing when this part breaks.You might be able to get at the bottom of it if you advance it.If not then the flywheel comes off.It doesn't control voltage it's a trigger telling the coils when to fire or advancing the spark.
You should replace all the plastic pieces in that system.

Back