Logo

1986 50 hp mercury

ycart

New here,and thanks for any help I get. I have a 1986 50 hp mercury 2 stoke. It ran fine tuesday .Grandson (8) was over and left the key on.I turned it off after aprox. 16 hours. Now I have no fire/spark. Cranks fine, just will not start. So I guess something must have died/burned up with the key on so long. Any ideas what to check? Or what it might be? nothing smells burned in the motor. Thanks again

50hp ADI motor's ignition doesn't run off the battery. So you could leave the key in the "ON" position indefinitely and it wouldn't do anything to the ignition system.

Check to be sure the kill switch on the remote control box is up (in the "run" position), that'll kill spark dead if it's down.

If it's not something simple like that, use the CDI Electronics Ignition Troubleshooting manual to help you narrow-down the problem.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/

HTH & G'luck..........ed

Just an update for everyone that replied. After I got to looking,my stator wires and trigger wires were so corroded i don't even see how it ran before. replacing both now. just waiting on stator to come in today.the wires actually just pulled apart.I'll let you all know. But thanks to all for the help

Yup, very common problem with these. I fought the same thing with my 50 Merc last year. G'luck with the repairs........ed

Weeelllll, stator came in...still no fire. But I have read the stator/trigger can kill the switch box. I absolutly know I have a full charged battery. my kill switch is in the right position, I even unhooked the wire for the kill switch to the motor. So basically,(tell me if i am thinkin wrong) It has to be the switch box or coils. And I say all 4 coils can't go out at one time. Gonna order a switch box tomorrow unless someone else has a better idea. Not givin up on it.lol

Double-check your connections. Also I would do resistance checks on the old parts; if you cut the wires back far enough you should be able to find wire fresh enough to get a reading off of.

If you find that the old stator and trigger's ohmic values are within spec, then they really weren't at the root of the problem, just incidental to other components failing. Of course, tearing into it, you were given no choice but to replace them due to their poor condition.

I've never seen (4) coils fail simultaneously, so all other things being equal it's likely to be the switchbox.

Have also never seen new CDI parts be bad out-of-the-box, but to eliminate all possibilities it'd probably be a good idea to take resistance checks on the new stator and trigger as well.

Would hate to replace the switchbox only to find one of the other new parts bad!!!

Tru Ed-Mc. here is a very dumb/newbie question. I am more of a machinist than mechanic,lol But to check the resistance/ect do all the connecting wires need to be unhooked? Or can I ohm them out connected? What I replaced needed. so no money lost on them.Also I don't think.(just guessin ) the rectifier has nothing to to with it starting. I had 2 other pepole watchin helpin to make sure i had everything hooked back up right. It's gonna kill me if i dont get it going.lol 2 weeks off in august to go have fun fishin/boatin. I can say this,what i replaced needed bad. Switch box i can buy. I just don't wanna be defeated...lol Thanks my friend

Yup, they should be disconnected from the switchbox when tested, to get the most accurate resistance readings. The CDI troubleshooting link posted earlier will have all the expected values for your ADI system. You might want to download the troubleshooting guide, as the online version is a bit cumbersome to use.

Update!!! Success.... LOL. I feel so much better,less stressed. First off,THANKS to/and for all the help. So the way I see it is. 1.. Stator wires and trigger wires got the nasty corrosion crap. (Boat still ran but was kinda hard to start sometimes).. 2... Finally wires crapped out.... 3.... Bad wires caused check switch to go out. 4.... After replacing all this it starts with just a turn or to of the motor... 5.... I learned all this from you peeps,and reading other posts here. Great site. So basically what i replaced needed it anyway Thanks all.

Back