Logo

1986 40 hp Evinrude VRO Fuel Pump VRO Fuel Pump part #5007421

I misunderstood what a tiller was as well as a remote. I was thinking it was a trolling motor and one of those little remotes for it. Again I am sorry for the confusion. It is a 1986 40 hp Engine #E 40ELCDE motor.20150712_183914.jpg

Look, we are getting way off base here because either our 'putters don't show the colors, or you are missing the stripes on the wire....or....whatever.

Let's try something different.

Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage on the large wire at the top of the terminal block, WITH THE KEY OFF. It is either originally a red or purple wire.
If it reads +12v with the key off, it's original color would be red.
If it reads 0v, turn key on and read voltage again. If it reads +12v now, then the original color would be purple.

While you are there, for the other "purple" wire to the primer solenoid.....turn key ON, press key IN, and see if the primer solenoid clicks.
If it does, then the wire you are calling purple is really purple/white (white stripe on it). If you push back that black wire protector sleeve, you will see the stripe better.

Remember, we are looking for a purple wire the same color shade as the one going to the primer solenoid, that has been cut off and is laying back up in there somewhere.
Maybe it has been taped off. If you find it, it will be 0V when key OFF, and +12V when key ON.

Find that and attach the purple wire from your new VRO to it.

There is an open spot on the bottom of your terminal strip. A spot where a screw can go, but is missing. I suspect that is where the purple switched +12v originally went.

20160802_063644.jpg20160802_063611.jpg
Here is a better picture of my terminal block. I still am unable to tell if that top wire on my terminal block is purple? I striped the coating back to show its color a little better. But the wire cluster that I am holding does come from the Big Red Plug and goes to the solenoid and one of those wires shown is purple for sure.

Here is the wiring diagram of your big red plug.

Note purple wire is labeled "Accessory" and that is why Joe is talking about the "A" terminal on the key switch.

omc red plug.jpg

I am sorry if you took that the wrong way daselbee. I just didnt know if the picture of the block showed enough that the top and bottom screws were retaining screws. I did not mean to insult you. I could not tell if that wire was purple. It is so old and worn. I will try and look at it in better light in the morning.
Thanks again, Dave

I am lost with this one.....who's insulted? Not me.... I am just trying to help you find a wire.

Ok good I thought I made you mad saying that the top and bottom screws were mounting screws? I didn't mean no harm. I really do appreciate all the time and effort you are going thru to help me out here.

20160802_090205.jpg20160802_085508.jpg20160802_063644.jpg

Ok here are a few more pictures. I am hoping they are helpful? To me it looks as though there are 8 leads going to the Big Red Plug(picture #1) and then only 7 coming out of it(picture #2), one being a purple wire with a white stripe on it. That wire goes to the primer solenoid(picture #3). I have not striped back the wires going into the Big Red Plug as of yet.

Ok guess what? I cut open my Big Red Plug and found a solid purple wire(picture #1) and in picture #2 it shows only 7 wires leaving the Big Red Plug.
20160802_091628.jpg20160802_085508.jpg

OK...seems as if you have found a design "modification".

It seems as if the Evinrude wiring engineers decided that your model 40HP engine did not need to have switched +12v present back at the motor itself.
No need for it back in 1984, so save money and leave the wire out.

The harness from the boat is correct. That is the way it should be. But the engine side is missing a wire.

Leave the purple/white wire as it is connected to the primer solenoid. That appears correct.

If you really want to make this work, there is one way to do it. You could splice into the solid purple wire on the boat side harness, and run a separate wire (hopefully buy purple wire) around the back of the engine to that empty spot on the terminal block. Attach VRO there.

Or, you could splice in a wire, and run it directly to the VRO lead.....
Maybe that is better.....splice in a purple wire on boat side, use marine quality bullet connectors between spliced wire and VRO lead.
The big red plug sits on the same side of the engine as the VRO pump, correct?

I would definitely buy some sort of marine quick disconnect terminals so that you can disconnect it in the future if you need to...
Please tape up everything when done to enhance reliability....I hate that you cut into the harnesses like that, but I guess there was no other way.....

There are a bunch of different ways to do this wiring mod.....just come up with a way that is neat and reliable and makes sense to future mechanics.

I think I am going to connect the new purple wire with the purple wire prior to the Bug Red Plug with some bullet connectors. And tape the **** out of it. And yes the Red Plug is on the same side as the VRO Pump. Thanks so much for all the help, daselbee and Joe. I have to charge up my batteries and I am going to fire it up later tonight or tomorrow! I will post how is goes on here tomorrow.

Dave

Back