Logo

1985 mercury 9.8

Timing does not go out of adjustment.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?
thanks for the timing tip...was noticing a bluish sheen on the water so i decided to remove the power head and take a look into the driveshaft housing. compression good on both at 120 ignition is also good. I'm thinking reed valves are not closing properly. driveshaft housing in my opinion just looked lawful wet internally. I'm seeing some light under a couple reed valves. I might be on the wrong track but since I've got the the power head apart. i have one set new Mercury reeds and one set Boyesen super stock fiberglass reeds. I'd like your expert opinion on which set you would install and any experience you've run into on this situation....need all the help i can get...

It is acceptable to see some light under the reed valves.----I do not use plastic reed valves.-----Inspect / replace lower crank seal.----Inspect fuel pump diaphragm.----Make sure float valve is working properly.

It is acceptable to see some light under the reed valves.----I do not use plastic reed valves.-----Inspect / replace lower crank seal.----Inspect fuel pump diaphragm.----Make sure float valve is working properly.
before disassembly i pressure checked block and held good pressure. "all" seals were replaced new upper and lower the first time i had the power head apart and have only 4.3 hours run time so far. now this is my second time it's apart. I've thought about if i had lower crk seal installed incorrectly. Installed lower seal with lip and spring facing away from ball bearing as Merc manual stated. Even went as far as making block off plates to pressurize the case. Had lower seal out towards case end not up against ball bearing. Have a second new seal #26-66301 1985 sailpower 9.8 #144113 maybe I'm missing something....seems to me there's enough space in the lower end of crk shaft area that they could have designed a double lip seal to keep pressure in and exhaust out...just my opinion...sorry to make this a story...all help is greatly appreciated...

before disassembly i pressure checked block and held good pressure. "all" seals were replaced new upper and lower the first time i had the power head apart and have only 4.3 hours run time so far. now this is my second time it's apart. I've thought about if i had lower crk seal installed incorrectly. Installed lower seal with lip and spring facing away from ball bearing as Merc manual stated. Even went as far as making block off plates to pressurize the case. Had lower seal out towards case end not up against ball bearing. Have a second new seal #26-66301 1985 sailpower 9.8 #144113 maybe I'm missing something....seems to me there's enough space in the lower end of crk shaft area that they could have designed a double lip seal to keep pressure in and exhaust out...just my opinion...sorry to make this a story...all help is greatly appreciated...
has new fuel pump and float is at spec and needle and seat operate properly and tip is in good shape...

has new fuel pump and float is at spec and needle and seat operate properly and tip is in good shape...
just need something confirmed about the lower crank seal position and direction the lip with grater spring facing away from roller bearing and up against the inside of block towards the crank carrier...hoping and probably not a misprint in the Mercury and Solec manuals i have...since you've worked on many more and this is my first your opinion and advice is appreciated.

Back