Logo

1985 Johnson 25HP -- Starter or Solenoid or ?? Troubleshooting

Overdraw

Seems like the starter has been getting weak. Few weeks ago boat wouldn't start. When you turn the key, all you get is a click.
After a few minutes it decided to turn over and fire. Did it to me again yesterday, but this time no amount of beating the starter motor would change anything. Nothing but a click when you turn the key.

How can I be sure that the its the starter. I would hate to just buy a new motor and have it be something else.

Boat runs fine, and usually starts perfectly. Twice it has decided not to turn over at all, and just a single "Click" when you turn the key.

-- Thanks for any suggestions on testing.

1: Check your battery with a voltmeter. Should be around 12,5Volts if fully charged.
2: Measure voltage at the starter WHEN engaging, should not drop below 11,5 Volts.
3: If low voltage, remove all battery connections, including the grounding screw!! Clean, re-install and test again.
4: If still problem, measure on both sides of the solenoid. If voltage drop through solenoid, change solenoid.
5: If still problem, dismantle starter, change brushes and clean the collector.

Battery was putting out 11.5 volts. So its not like a car that will turn over slowly when the battery starts to get low on juice.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Sucks that I need a forum to figure out a battery needs to be charged. :D

Back