Logo

1985 Johnson 150 V6 - Kill wire short to ground?

dsharretts

Hi,

Hoping I can get some hints on a problem I've been struggling with. It seems I've got a short to ground on my black/yellow Kill wire(s).

Motor starts and runs with black/yellow wires disconnected at power packs.

Motor starts and runs with red controls connector disconnected and kills when reconnected.

No spark with black/yellow wires disconnected from ignition switch. This is a new OEM ignition switch - replaced this (and lanyard switch) first, same issue as I had with original switch.

So this leads me to believe I may have a short to ground between the Controls and the motor. However, I've tested with a meter at the red connector as well as at the black/yellow connectors running to the power packs (both running and off) and I get NO ohms reading that would indicate a short.

Seems to me if I have a short I should be able to see that with the meter. Just trying to verify before I read all the wiring out for nothing.

Thanks for any help.

I got it figured out.

Fell victim to a bad brand new lanyard kill switch. I had tested it before installing and thought it was good. However, I also fell victim to failing to properly use a multimeter.

The ohms resistance reading I was looking for (in my original post) was there - it was just unfortunately out of the range I had set and was using on my meter while testing. Changed the meter to a higher range and there it was - switch is bad. Bypassed switch completely and fires right up.

Ouch. Live and learn.

Back