Logo

1985 evinrude VRO running issues

Alexlund

Hi, I bought a used 70 hp 1985 evinrude vro, E70TLCOS. I have cleaned the carbs, new spark plugs, new mixed fuel, (vro was removed), compression is good in all 3 cylinders. The motor will fire and run on full throttle only with a little help from starter fluid and or gas sprayed into he front of the carb. It runs for about a minute and then dies and won't start again for a while. (flooded?). If I try to idle down while it is running it dies as well. When I look at the manual diagram for the carb it shows a needle valve that should be on the top hole on the front of the carb, but my carbs do not have this needle valve. I wasn't sure if this motor needs that needle valve or not? I thought if it did, then it would be there already. Could there be another adjustment to the carb that is needed? or is this not a carb issue?

You have a bad gauge or a motor that needs lots of work.----Remove cylinder head and inspect.----If nothing is wrong a head gasket is cheap.

It is all factory set.----Both idle mixture and high speed ( full throttle ) mixtures.----So if motor is not running properly there is an issue other than the carburetors.----Orderly trouble shooting will find the issue.

Back