Logo

1985 Evinrude 30 HP long shaft, Questions

GLENS67

The OB is a E30RLC0A. How do you start the motor, how many pumps on the primer?
Next the foam insulation on the top cover has degraded. What is a good replacement? Do I really need it?
Man the water pump is a pain to rebuild, not really but the reassembly is a pain with the long shaft, long water tube, and the copper tube.
I sure would like to find an Owner's Manual for it.
I do have a Shop Manual.
I have it on a 17' MirroCraft aluminum open boat. When It was running (last running 2017) It would do almost 30 MPH. I bought it used from a Fire Department Near Healdsburg, CA in 2008ish.
Thanks Glen.
I'm in Idaho near Boise.

Also would like to install an Electric Starter.
Yes I use 50 to 1 mix...

Water pump work is straight forward.----Long shaft / short shaft makes no difference.----Explain in detail why you are struggling with water pump work !

Not the water pump replace, the dam connections from the pump to the top...Man the water pump is a pain to rebuild, not really but the reassembly is a pain with the long shaft, long water tube, and the copper tube
Remember that this is a long shaft...

Last edited:
The shift connection is behind the water intake screen ( black plastic ) And the work is no different between a short and a long shaft ----I repeat no different !----If you find it different and difficult you are doing something wrong !

Where did you disconnect the shift rod ??----Sorry ----I can not see over your shoulder .----I have absolutely no idea why you are struggling here.

Good luck with your project.----There is no difference in the degree of difficulty between a short and long shaft motor !!

The shift rod was no problem. I did the pump 7 years ago. Prior to my repair, the big black tube was not installed correctly, the upper end was crushed by misalignment. After my repair the water circulated fine. Came out of the exhaust and came out of the pee tube.

Last edited:
Now the real Questions;
1 How do you start the motor, how many pumps on the primer?
2 Next the foam insulation on the top cover has degraded. What is a good replacement? Do I really need it?
3 I sure would like to find an Owner's Manual for it.

Back