Logo

1985 Evinrude 150 hp no power when engaging prop in water

ldv5379

Took the boat out today. The last time I took it out would start and idle fine, in fact can use separate throttle to rev the engine no problem, but when giving gas in gear in the water bogs down and dies. Could only move at slow speeds. I have replaced fuel lines the bulb and main fuel line, plugs and wires, all 6 power coils. Ive checked compression and its within specs and it stills bogs down when in water and giving throttle. The fuel filter isn't filling up but I don't know if its suppose to. I don't use VRO mix oil manually. Can anyone help? Any ideas?

Post the actual compression test values here.-----Sounds like it might be running on 3 cylinders.----Does spark jump a gap of at least 3/8" on the 6 leads ?----Checked flywheel key ?-----Checked reed valves ?----Check the high speed jets in the very bottom of the carburetor bowls ?----What type of fuel pumps are on it now ?------Does pushing the key in help the motor / boat get on plane ?----Red lever in the correct position on the electric primer valve.-----All easy to check and no beer tokens needed to do so.

i second racerone's post. Maybe to help eliminate some things try it again and if it boggs down push your choke in and see if it helps.

Back