Logo

1985 40 hp ELTK lower unit prop and driveshaft installation orientation question

bama

Hello. I just purchased a 1985 18' Lund Limited Edition with original, twin, 40 hp outboards. One had milky oil, so I am replacing the seals, o ring, and water pump while I am in there. On the Evinrudes I have done, you put one oil seal one way and one the other way. When I pulled the seals, they were both with lip facing outward. Is this the proper way? I don't see it clearly enough in the service manual I bought and I don't see it written in the instructions. I saw a thread about this relating to Mercury and someone said it is supposed to be alternated on pretty much every outboard, which makes sense. But, would like confirmation before I go through all the work.

Thanks for the help. Wish the weather was nice enough to use it this year. Nice boat for a '85.

Sorry about the title. forgot to type the word "seal" in the heading.

Last edited:
I found the thread again, about seal orientation. It was a Mariner motor, not Mercury. I didn't use the right keywords on the search. Looks like any double seal is supposed to have one seal for pressure and one for vacuum. I will plan to do it that way, unless someone stops me. :)

Back