Logo

1985 3.8 L omc engine stalls

freddiedad

Contributing Member
1985 omc stern drive,gmc,v6,3.8 liter. 18' searay seville. Stalls when u go from forward to reverse to slow down. when your in low gear like trolling stalls . When u go to increase rpm,then stats right up again and run great open throttle great no break up. new fuel pump ,plugs,set timing, dwell
any ideas Steve

Re: 85 omc engine stalls

say your going 30 mph you slowly throttle down till you come to a stop and wait one sec and then go into neutral. Then into reverse.

Is that how you shift ?

If not the motor will stall everytime.

It's the old shift cable blues. The Cobra should be shifting smoothly and easily. At higher RPMs, however, it will be difficult. The dog clutch wants to grab harder as the speed goes up. This is all covered in the Hastings site. Go there and become enlightened my friend. You will probably need to at least readjust your shift cable, but if it is original, you will likely need a new one. That and a new assist module.

say your going 30 mph you slowly throttle down till you come to a stop and wait one sec and then go into neutral. Then into reverse.

Is that how you shift ?

If not the motor will stall everytime.

only way my 3.8 V6 dies is if I turn the key off.

should be able to use reverse as brakes in an emergency without fear of stalling

linkage adjustments, tune up, vacuum gauge testing on the carb, and ESA operational checks in order

Crowley Marine : Articles & Instruction

Need nominal neutral adjustment

What rpm you idle at in the water warm motor in gear ?

Could be i misread the question.

Your going slow say 5 mph less maybe and you want to brake the boat so to speak ?

Very rare i have to cause when i approach the dock or the trailer i just put it in neutral and let the intertia do the rest.

O.K. first I have to apologise for takeing so long to respond. I had password problems with the change over, than I was to the coast fishing for a week. Anyhow I had the same problem with my 4.3. The way I figured out the cause was to rig up a jumper direct from the battery to the coil. If this works the original ignition wire hase deteriated to a point that it won`t let enaugh voltage to the coil giveing you a weak spark. Now if you still have points and this jumper works this is too much voltage to run continusly with a point systom as it starts on full 12V and when you release the key the origonal wire is desined as a resister to cut the voltage back as a full continues 12V will burn out your points. I switched to Pertronics ignition and have no more problems. I ran the origional ignition wire to a solinoid to activate direct 12V to the coil than it can still be turned off with the key.

Back