Logo

1984 Johnson 90 HP fuel recycling hose install (Model J90TLCRD)

MitchB

Can any one give insight on the proper routing of the Fuel Recycling hoses for a 1984 Johnson 90 HP. Model number is J90TLCRD. I have a diagram showing that one fuel recycling hose enters at each By Pass Cover...1 per by pass cover. The diagram also shows correct routing to the manifold nipples in between and below the Carbs. The two primer hoses on this model connect one each to a nipple on the top of each Carb. My first thought was that someone may have modified the engine since there is a manifold nipple right behind the throttle linkage on the starboard side??? There are no nipple ports on the bypass covers and the replacement covers for this model do not have any nipples...yet my diagram for this era Johnson V4 model shows that the fuel recycling utilizes one nipple each at the cylinder by pass covers.

So now I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MitchB

Sounds like the block may have been replaced with a newer version.----Do the numbers on top of the block match the numbers on the swivel bracket ?-Picture of the nipple on the side of the block that feeds the center main bearing ?----Post pictures as that always helps figure this out.

Thanks for the reply racerone. Swivel bracket meaning the stern bracket or mount bracket? Anyway, these numbers do not match up but this is not news to me. The Johnson Model number on top of the portside cylinder block appears to match the Carb design as I reference to Engine diagrams. The history of the engine is unknown so anything goes but if the Cylinder block and carbs match I thought that the fuel recycling system would jive as well. Do some newer models use this nipple port right behind the throttle linkage on the manifold? Perhaps the diagram I am referencing from a Seloc manual for these years does not apply to this specific model? Anyway, I will follow your advice an include some photos asap.

OK, here are some pics in regards to my Fuel recycling hoses on a 1984 Johnson 90 HP powerhead. Diagram I have shows this system to connect to the By Pass Covers. There is a hose nipple right behind the throttle assembly. The hose nipples on the front of the intake manifold are exactly as the diagram depicts. Solenoid primer hose connects match. According to Marine Engine salesperson the replacement By Pass Covers do not have hose nipples. OK then...I would assume that the hose diagram I have is just incorrect and there is a different hose routing for this model but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know that this website sells specific service manuals for these engines and I have bought these before. They are very helpful indeed but trying to avoid investing for the sake of one hose diagram page. I know this is alot to review but would love to hear from any experts out there. Thanks for your time.
MitchBboat diagram.jpgIMG_2302 1.jpg

Tried to upload a third pic showing the Model number on top of the port side cylinder housing but would not load. No matter it shows J90TLCRD and directly below J5954817.

Back