Logo

1984 Johnson 60HP part location question

adaniel

Took my lower unit apart and have a question with reassembly. does the bearing house retaining plate go in between the two retaining rings. this is how i have it assembled and there is a lot of play in my prop shaft and i can not manually get it to shift into reverse.

You made a mistake.----------The threaded retainer plate goes in first and the the 2 snap rings.----Reverse gear is too far back and the clutch dog will not engage.---Hopefully you did not do too much $$$$ damage.------It is always best to ask questions when you are not 100% sure of the procedure.

Last edited:
When the lower unit was reassembled did you set the shift rod height correctly.-----------They have always used 2 big snap rings , since 68 on the 3 cylinder 55 HP.--------------------The threaded ring goes in BEFORE the 2 snap rings.-----------Are you working with a factory manual ??

we got the rings out and placed the threaded ring in 1st then the snap rings. reverse is now working. no im not working with a factory manual.. what is the correct shift rod height, because i,m having trouble getting it tied back in with the throttle linkage. is there a system to hooking the throttle linkage back n with the shift rod. thanks again.

Back