Logo

1984 evinrude 70hp e70tlcrd

blast1568

engine runs great except after it idles a few minutes it seems to load up i have to reeve engine for a few seconds to get it to take trootle and does not take good trottle when loading boat on trailer,compression is between 120 and 125 on all three cylinders.carbs are fresh just did rebuild not long ago.i noticed it was spitting gas out of top carp. so i replaced reed valve on that cylinder it did not fix problem still spitting out that carp.dazed and confused please help

Item # 1 to check --Is the thermostat in place and working ???--------Item #2 to check---At idle are all three carburetor throttle plates completely closed ??

Last edited:
Hello All... I am new to forum stuff and need advice. Wish I had an answer for Blast1568 but I don't. I need help myself so thought I could piggyback into this post too. I have a 1988 Evinrude 60 HP E60TLCCR motor with the VRO removed and a standard fuel pump in it's place. This was done when the power head was replaced 6 years ago, My motor ran like a champ for 6 years then all of a sudden started to stall out. When it would start it would run fine at high rpm's but stalls at idle before I can get it into gear. Because the motor is old and many electrical parts are believed to be original I replaced the fuel pump, power pack, plug wires, plugs, solenoid and starter. None of that fixed the problem. A marina rebuilt all three carburetors and swapped out the new fuel pump for a VRO premix replacement this last week. Again that did not solve the problem and they burned out my new starter trying.... I had them put my new fuel pump back on, paid my bill and took my pontoon home disappointed. The motor (when it will start) runs great at high rpm but again will not idle. If the boat and motor are on angle the motor will not even start (tilted up a bit on muffs or inclined at the boat launch. Does anyone know what the heck is wrong with my motor and how to fix it????? Please help.... Thanks' 1/2 a mechanic.

1/2 a mechanic, piggybacking into a post is called hijacking, go ahead and start your own post, you'll get more answers

Okay thank you for that information. I am new to using a forum for info and did not mean to be a hijacker... sorry. Could you please tell me how to start a new post under my user name?

Top of the page on left a blue box "Post new Thread" when you log onto Johnson Evinrude forum

Last edited:
Back