Logo

1984 5.0 omc stringer, stalls in gear

csmith1973

Hi guys,

We have an 84 OMC stringer with a 5.0l engine. We launched it and it started right up and ran great.....for about 40 minutes, then just died. We got it started again, but when eber you increased throttle it would stall. The next day it ran for a little while, then stalled out, and stalls every time you put it in to gear. We checked the pickup tube, replaced the fuel filter (which was new anyway) and the fuel pump is delivering a lot of fuel. Any ideas? It seems odd that it will run fine in neutral, but stalls as soon as you put it in gear.

Re: 84 omc stringer, stalls in gear

Check the outdrive oils. post back if you have a locked up gear case.

Last edited:

Hi guys,

the outdrive is not locked up, the outdrive was removed and re-installed by the marina over the winter, could the cable adjustments be causing this???? I don't see how, but you guys know a LOT more than I do about these things. Thanks for the help

What is the esa module? and how exactly do i test it? I will do the nominal neutral alignment tomorrow am, how does that make it stall though? and why would it run fine then stall at full throttle?

HA HA, I can see your point Hystat. Unfortunately I don't think I completely describe the problem properly. It will run in gear at idle, for a little while, then stall again. SO basically, it runs good, then stalls at high rpm, then when it starts up again it will run in gear, but only at lower rpm, then it will not run in anything but neutral. The pattern repeats itself also, if it sits for a few hours, it will almost start over again, but it is getting quicker to failure.

I'd suggest draining the lower and see what flows out.

does the steering wheel kick one way when you put it in gear and it stalls?

Last edited:

Tomorrow I am going to do all of the above. I will start with the checklist from the Crowley site you gave me Chiefalen, and also check the lower gear oil as well. Right now the micro switches seems to be what I am leaning towards, but we will see. I will post after trying everything. Hopefully with good news.

gotta look at the cup half full, but also keep checking the cup for cracks....

fingers crossed for ya.

well we put the carb back on (rebuilt it because it was time) got it running, checked the lower gear oil and it was fine. Took it for a ride and it stalled. We disconnected the micro switches and it ran fine, so we now just have to adjust the switches and replace one i believe. Thanks for all of the help.

Next problem was it ran warm at wot, but cooled right down when we brought it back a little. Think it could be clogged exhaust or maybe something different??

Again thanks for the help guys, you rule!

So you did listen. Don't over tighten the micro switch f--ks them up.

Ok the long hose that comes in from the transom and goes to the t-stat, put water to the drive and remove the hose at the t-stat, start the motor and hold the hose straight up, should have 12-15 inch's of water shooting up, you only need to do this for 3-4 seconds quick shut off the motor.

Soooo if you have good water shooting up then the problem in from the t-stat or down stream.

If no good water then it's from the t-stat back.

Sooo say it's from the t-stat forward. Open the top of the t-stat housing look at the t-stat, it frozen half closed. Me for now i would remove it altogether. But then people are going to start posting here that the Chief is wrong never run a boat without a t-stat. Could be i have been wrong before, i originally thought Obama might have made a good president. See i was wrong then also.

Sooo now you have to make a call and replace the t-stat, some do every year, if you boat in saltwater not a bad idea.

Say you made your call replaced or left out the t-stat, the housing is not clogged up with crud or old pieces of impeller, you run the boat and it still starts to overheat at higher rpm, then it's time again to find where it's being clogged up.

Next step is the riser. The riser could be clogged up. Remove it look down the tube with a light see a flapper / shutter half blocking the tube. I will be way down actually in the intermediate.

Sooo say the risers is good or bad and you replaced it, you see no flapper or removed one and everything is back together, you will have to do both sides 2 risers maybe 2 flappers.

Raise the drive, see the exhaust hole the large one abut 3-4 inch's round, anything clogging it ?

With a light and a mirror look as far up the tube you can. My son can get his hand in there up to his elbow.

Ok turn around see the exhaust hole in the drive see anything in there piece of flapper?

Run the boat if, and thats a big if, you listened again you should have solved your problem.

Wants some tips from a cranky old geezer that went thru everything i just posted for you ?

1- Never ever run this drive anywhere but fully Down !

2- Never run this drive without water going to the drive , in the water or or a hose.

3- Keep a eagle eye on the transom seal " The large rubber thingie around the drive "

4- Everytime you come off the water flush.

5- Evertime you come off the water check the drive oils, top plug is ok of all three.

6- Check the clutch housing for water, if present, then drain and fill it with grease.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Back