Logo

1984, 2 stroke, 75hp borescope image

BLUbben

Hi all....my first post. Looks like a great resource for us newbies!

I'd like input as to what this borescope image is, of my newly acquired 1984, 75 hp Mercury Mariner 2 stroke. It's a pic of the top, #1 cylinder, looking in from sprakplug hole. There appears to be some sort of line or cable running down through an opening. I don't see it on the other cylinders. I was expecting to just see the top of the piston and cylinder walls! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Brian U.

Mercury 75hp #1 cyl.JPG

Looks like a piece of piston ring. Seems to have the same arc and thickness as the pistons. Question is, if so, how did it make it's way up to where it is? Doesn't look good......... Take a scribe and see if you can move it. Top should be flat with the small casting detent in the center. Some carbon would also be present. Agree on popping the side cover....exhaust water jacket and large flat cover plate on the Port side of the engine and having a look from the side.

You MIGHT be okay. The right side of these Power Ported pistons have a beveled edge where the slot in the wall of the cylinder is. Very hard to tell in the first photo, but it might be that bevel. You need to pull the intake side cover(s) off and see. Should be obvious from there.

Jeff

Attachments

• Power Ported 1500.JPG
    Power Ported 1500.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 24
That's what it is....surely; curvature fits for sure. I know he said '84, but in the '80s a lot of engine changes occurred, like their introduction of Loopers and fewer cylinders on some engines in that general range. I bought an '89 Ranger with a 115 tower, both sold and registered as an '89 but told on another site that the '89 115 was a 4 cyl Looper.....mine must have been one of the last Towers to come off the assy line prior to the transition, and marketed as an '89.

The 1984 is still the wonderful / simple / internal reed valve/ non looper engine.---Easy to inspect pistons & rings via the transfer port covers as per post #4------We wait for a report on that inspection process.

Back