Logo

1983 Mercury 50 HP 4 cyl wiring question

JasRam

Contributing Member
Hello all,
I just replaced the stator and trigger on my motor. While reconnecting all the wires, I followed a wiring diagram online.
I have 2 large black wires going to each side of the starter, along with a smaller black one. There is also a black one going to starter solenoid, I didn't have to disconenct this, so I know it's int he right place. The question is, I have another black wire coming from the harness that's not listed in any diagrams. Where does this go? I put it under the Mercury switch thinking that it was probably a ground and that it would be fine there.

On the rectifier, I have 2 yellow and a gray on the output terminals, and the red on the + side. Does anyone know where this other black wire would go?

That should go to motor ground, unless there is already another ground wire coming from controls. There of course has to be at least one ground.

That should go to motor ground, unless there is already another ground wire coming from controls. There of course has to be at least one ground.
Thanks, There are 3 comning from the harness, one goes to the starter solenoid, one grounds to starter... I've grounded the other to one of the bolts holding the starter solenoid in, I got it running last night so I'm thinking it shuld be fine... I hope!

Back