Logo

1983 force 85 hp surges

loukel01

My 1983 force 85 hp surges at wot. Runs okay at 3/4 throttle. Carbs have been cleaned, new fuel lines and connections, new fuel pump diafram, new plugs. Starts and runs fine at idle (750 rpm). Any ideas greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...

[email protected]

Cisco, thanks for the input. Base is tight but i'm unsure if the timing is right. Moving the timing arm does not seem to effect the surging

Does the prime bulb stay tight,if it looses pressure that could also cause a surge at full throttle.And also I think what Nickhaulotte is asking,is yr mixture rite on your carbs.You should have a screw on your carbs that set your air and fuel mixture.

ciscokid pointed out I hadn't answered post correctly.Sorry about that. I read your suggested site and double checked the carbs onthe lake. Still surges Thanks for the input and the site info.

Shine a strong flashlight into the carburetors at full throttle and compare amount of fuel coming up main jets.----------------One carburetor acting up or all ??---------------Try operating your manual fuel pump at full throttle when it surges.

I had replaced the bulb and replaced the fuel lines with 5/16 instead of 1/4. All connections are tight and bulb is firm. As you pointed out, I hadn't answered Nickhoulett's mixture question correctly and sent him one today. Another "senior moment".

Thanks again,

I had replaced the fuel lines with 5/16 instead of 1/4 and the fuel bulb at the same time. All connections are tight and the bulb is firm. Thanks for pointing out I hadn't answered Nickholette's suggestion, (senior moment) I did send him another corrrected version.

Definatly look at those carbs, and timing and spark. It is one of those (as usuall). Do all the butterflys open in sync? and from 3/4 throttle to wot is where the most extreme change in butterflys are. What kind of plugs, oil, gas, are you running? I try to run no ethenol fuel. 91 oct. and quicksilver oil. Used walmart brand up until i had to do a rebuild. Remember you get what you pay for. Nick

Back