Logo

1983 Evinrude 9.9 Yachtwin

BRUPP79

Regular Contributor
Picked up a Yachtwin today from a auction near Tim, sorry Tim�� looks to be in good shape. 125 psi dry and 140 wet per cyl compression test. Great spark. Wires are buggered up so charge and elect start are unknown yet. Decent shape for the age. Pulled carb, and looks to be a 15hp carb with a #54 jet? Large bore large venturi. Pulled lower unit off to check it out tomarrow. But noticed the 9.9 tuner pipe in midsection. But mid section on my 75 Johnson 9.9 is wide open. Yachtwin is restricted, 1 large hole and 2 small. Was this their way to restrict the later model Yachtwin? Kinda strange. But all in all not bad for $144.00:cool:! I need to shrink the pics, too large

Sweet deal....what are you doing hunting in my territory? Raquel was gonna stop by Nordic today but trying to round up cash for another semi load of oak. Lots of wood orders coming in.
Can't say for sure on Yachtwin, but is that super longshaft? Got a 9.9 here now...water pump tomorrow, and will compare with '74 15 hp will be clear coating parts too that I painted 2 weeks back. I will bet that both have same tuner. Just did a 1980 9.9 restore and that had the same tuner as the 1975 15 I just sold in August......as well, or course, as this '74 15. Really can't find rhyme nor reason on these tuners.

Last edited:
Yup, super long shaft on this guy. I was going to swap my 75 short shaft lower onto it and see how it does on the water this weekend. Got this one off of lots4bid in Wrenshall. I see on do-bid there is what appears to be a 50's johnson 5hp. Firewood oak? Is the time of year for that. I need around 1.5 cord and to add to my pile and I will be set. Slashing just outside of town i will go clean up i think, has Birch, Ash, Maple, Poplar and mixed Pine.

Right, oak, both red and white. I used to log but too much headache with DOT, insurance, thieves, etc. Process right here now at home, secure and gated. Will check out that old 5 horse. Bet that Yachtwin is mint. Those sailboat owners are quite careful and meticulous. Got a picture? What does it have for a tuner?

20200903_092839.jpg
20200903_092818.jpg
Here is a shot of where the tuner dumps into lower unit. Wide open is from powerhead end of my 75 9.9hp. Other 3 hole version is from the Yachtwin

Well so far so good on the Yachtwin. Took it out and with my wife and myself in my 12ft lund we hit 19mph. And with a added 275lb payload we dropped to 10-11mph, bit it still planed out which the old 9.9 wouldn't do. Didn't get much chance to play with the trim. But it idles like a champ, no low idle sneeze at all. Kill switch is broke so had to choke to kill, low idle won't even do it . Nice motor

I am guessing low hours as well. Although the tuner in the midsection had atleast 1/4" of oily soot in it. I scraped as much out as I could and ground the 3 holed exhaust opening into a wide open style. So far I am running Havoline (Chevron) TC-W3 2 stroke oil at 50:1. Yea I am running 91 non oxy/alky fuel from the CO-OP down the street. I tried the Havoline and I get almost no smoke as compared to Evinrude XD30 oil. I may switch to Amsoil next year after I do a good de-carb. Had a bad experience with Amsoil. Not their fault, but 6hp engine was ran with standard oil too rich for many years and the Amsoil cleaned things and the rings stuck and scored the cyl's :( :( :( . But so far so good!

Last edited:
My old Amsoil originals are super clean inside. Notice when I change impellers. Once I rebuild, or clean up a customers motor, they get a free bottle of Amsoil. Why? I never want to see any problems for them.....and Al Amatuzio probably saved my life? All my hours guiding, trolling, running chain saws in firewood production, .....the oil vapors I would have breathed at 24:1, (in the 60's), 40:1, the rest of the time.......would have likely killed me. My saws all get 64:1 (Usually Amsoil Saber but prior to Saber, just the regular 100:1 premix.....Saber has an extra measure for air cooled equipment) and non oxy. Favorite saw is 91 cc Stihl 660. Had it for 14 years and diced several hundred cords of oak, maple, ash, tamarack, and birch. Purchased it in the Philippines when I was clearing land and cutting lumber there. We are vendors with AEOA, and have been since the early 90's. Google up Raquel and Tim's Timber.....Duluth.

Last edited:
Back