Logo

1983 70HP Johnson Won't shutdown

Guys, Here is the story and I need help: Fired up the motor after winter storage, ran great after the fogging oil burned off. Stopped and started like clockwork. Since the carbs would leak every time I tilted the motor up, I deciede to rebuild the carbs. Installed the rebuilt carbs primed it, fired up after a few seconds of cranking, backed off of the warm up lever, found it was idling higher than before and noted that the roller cam is no longer touching the plate, manually rotated the carb linkage back to get down to idle (how do I fix that?). When I went to shut it off it kept running with the key turned off then I pulled the lanyard and it still kept running. Fortunately, The carb cover was still off so I had to manually choke of two of the three carbs to get it to stall. Anyone every seen this happen. I can't see how the rebuilding of the carbs could cause an electrical iginition failure. I had the battery disconnect all the time while working on the motor. Baffled!!! Help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

You must be careful in adjusting that roller.-------------------------It is NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH all the time !!---------------Make sure all 3 throttle plates are closed at idle.--------------Look into doing a sychronizing procedure for throttle and ignition linkages.------------There is an open circuit somewhere that allows the motor to keep running.-------Check the big red plug in the harness and the grounds.

Racerone, Thanks for the direction. Update, after closely looking at the carb linkagae I found that I had installed the linkage upside down so the rod was hitting th the spring loaded shaft on the upper carb. After correcting this the roller cam is back to less than a 1/16 of an inch from the plate (were it was before). I'll clean the red plug and grounds and retest and let you know the outcome.

Racerone, Update: Motor runs and idles beautifully (only on flush hose). I cleaned all grounds and the red plug. She'll still start with the lanyard out and still won't shut off with the key. How do I find the "Open circuit" What baffles me is that before I removed the carbs I tested the motor and it stopped and started with the key no problems. Funny how this issue seems to have come out of the blue, but I'm happier that it's in the driveway than out at the public docks. Do I pull the control box or should I start somewhere at the motor. I do have a multi volt amp tester and a 12V light probe. Your help is greatly appreciated. I'll go back to my Seloc manual and I have a 1980 (yes 3 years older than this motor) service manual that only describes igintion tests. Thanks, Jeff

Year of your manual in this case ---DOES NOT MATTER------Look for loose wires in the control box on the ignition switch.

Racerone, Key switch test (as per the service manual) past all tests except the one were "Transfer leads to "M" terminals. Light or meter should not show continuity in "Start" or "ON" positions" And it does, whereas the book says it shouldn't. All wiring and connection in the remote controls look clean and are tight. So does this mean my switch has failed? I take it the switch is not serviceable.

Racerone, Correction, I re-ran the test this time with the lanyard in place (I forgot it was disconnect at the original tests) This time it passed. No continuity from M to M with the key in run or start positions. So what would you suggest next? Much apprciated! Jeff

Another added thought, When I had the motor running, I disconnected the red plug at the motor and it still kept on running, would this possibly suggest the problem is at the motor? Just an added thought worth mentioning. Once again thanks fo the help! Jeff

With the red plug disconnected you have the same thing as the ignition switch in the " on " position.------------------Plug in the red connecter and try again !!

Racerone, We has success! Ran continuity tests from the switch to the female red plug successfully but from the male red plug for the black and yellow wire to the cd plug black and yellow it faied, found the black and yellow wire entering the male red plug to be broken in side the wire casing could feel it through the casing. Replaced this wire and the problem is now fixed. Next will be the water test to really find out if the carb rebuild was ok, otherwise starts and stops and restarts and idles beautifuly in the driveway. Thanks again for the help and direction!

Jeff

Back