Logo

1983 70 hp Johnson

geoponic

Runs fine at home but when I get it in the water and try to go forward it runs like crap with a load on it. Any feedback would be appreciated .

Did you just aquire this motor? First I'd do a compression check. Next I'd pick up a spark gap tester from an auto parts store and make sure spark at all plug wires can jump a gap of about 7/16". If you've got good compressio and good spark, then you've got a fuel delivery problem. Next I'd order carb kits and open them suckers and get to cleaning. I've attached a link to a carb diagram:

When you take the carbs apart, be sure to remove plugs #4 and #5, and clean all the passages inside that opening. The carb kits will come with replacement plugs. Give some attention to #22, it's your idle jet, and to #29 which is your high speed jet. A compressor with a fine tip sprayer is the best tool to blow out all passages, if you don't have access to one, a can of carb ceaner with the little straw attached will do okay.

I just noticed that this is your 3rd post about this motor. We would really be able to help you if we knew if the motor had any compression at all. Running fine with no load, but not being able to run in water is an indication of low compression or insufficient spark. If just the back pressure of the exhaust is making a big difference in how the motor runs, your motor might be completely shot and either needs a total rebuild or to be tossed. This is how we help folks.

Back