Logo

1983 35 hp 2 stroke.

Dongerrish

Just purchased an older Boston Whaler that came with this outboard. Im trying to decide whether or not the motor is any good. I've got several hurdles to cross. First of all there's no key and the safety switch is missing or broken off. I'd like to do a compression test and try to start it. When I unplug the red plug to try and start it the starter spins UT doesn't rise up and engage the main sprocket. Does this mean the starter is bad or am I s8mply doing it the wrong way? Is there any way to bypass the safety shut off switch on the omc control box and the ignition key and hot wire the thing?

Well----12 volts is not used to make spark on this motor.-----Are you sure battery is good ( load tested ) and hooked up correctly.------Use a rope on the flywheel to test compression.-----Put a new water pump impeller in if motor is a good runner.

I'll try that thanks. So i assume I leave the plug unplugged while attempting to start or comp test with the compression tester? Any idea what psi I'm looking for? 100, 120?

Back