Logo

1983 25hp shift rod adjustment

Maetsi

Hi!
I've replaced the waterpump on my Evinrude E25ECTD 1983 25HP and now I'm having difficulties getting it into gear. Forward and neutral works somewhat good but when getting it in reverse it's almost like the rod is too long and it bends and hit the inside of the housing with a small "bang". Is there some way I accidently screwed the entire rod out and made it too long or is the only way of adjustment the two fastening bolts where the two rod ends meet? If it matters I couldn't connect them properly when in neutral, it was too much clearance. So I ended up putting it in gear and then screwed the bolt in.

Any idea of how to solve this? I actually ended up damaging the shift actuator cam due to the resistance in the gear lever.

Did you line up the notch in the shiftrod with the hole in the connector.----You have to do that before the bolt can be installed.

Did you line up the notch in the shiftrod with the hole in the connector.----You have to do that before the bolt can be installed.

I believe I did, as I explained I had to shift intoneutral or reverse (dont remember) to even get the two parts to meet. And after that I just pushed the loose end toward the upper rod as good as I could with a screwdriver while tensioning with a wratchet. Disasembled in forward gear. but couldnt install it in the same manner

The notch has to be lined up with the hole in the conector.----Forward / nuetral / reverse does not matter.----The notch has to line up before putting the bolt in !!!

I believe I did, as I explained I had to shift intoneutral or reverse (dont remember) to even get the two parts to meet. And after that I just pushed the loose end toward the upper rod as good as I could with a screwdriver while tensioning with a wratchet. Disasembled in forward gear. but couldnt install it in the same manner

We don't believe you did! :)

We believe that you just pushed the shift rods together, then forced the bolt in, screwing up the threads in the process.

Don't do that again! :)

Haha. Yeah you were right. The thing is i couldnt get it all the way in no matter how much forced i used. Then I saw that the brackets behave like a clamp and someone (not me) over-tightened it so the inner diameter were to small for the rod to properly fit. Pried it open with a screwdriver and now I can see the notch in the hole for the screw.
Hope it works now.
Thank you all! :cool:

Back